My 7 year old pees in his sleep!!

My 7 year old son is having a problem with "sleep peeing". He's urinating under his desk and doesn't remember anything about it! I've cut him off of drinking anyone past 8pm, and still, to no avail. The smell is becoming unbearable and I'm not sure what to do! Help!!!

Tattooedmomof02

Asked by Tattooedmomof02 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well you most likely should take him to the doctor to rule out bladder infections etc. Esp if this is a new thing, he is sleepwalking and there really isn't too much you can do until you explain all of this to a doctor.
    Why is the smell bad, clean up his pee, or put a trash can under the desk, you can get one of those little carpet cleaners and clean it, if you don't your underneath will rot and you will have much worse problems on your hands.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Sounds like you ned to set an alarm and get him up and walking him to the bathroom a couple times a night.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Try putting shaving cream on the carpet, scrubbing it in, letting it sit, and then washing it out after a while. Take your kiddo to the doctor to see if there is a medical cause for all of this.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• My 12 year old does too. Doctors have all said she will outgrow it. She's had the tests. I was a late wetter too so as aggravating as it is, I just wait it out.

Believe me, she can clear the entire upstairs it smells so bad sometimes. I make her wash her linens and freshen her room.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:41 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Has your son ever been required to stay in his room, 'no matter what' after bedtime?

Firmly ingrained rules are hard to break when you're mostly-asleep...

He may also be sleepwalking.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• It's not all that unusual. Do you have him urinate just before he goes to bed?
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:35 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• The sleep doctor and urologist had us wake him only after he wet the bed. We used a bed alarm to alert us. We woke him fully and changed him. Had him use the toilet again. It rewires the brain to eventually wake when you have to go. Most doctors have bed alarm companies they refer parents to. Most parents don't use the alarm because it can be expensive. So as a result many parents select medication that stops night time bed wetting. Personally, I hate the bed wetting medication. Training the brain seems the better option. More work but better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2013