For those of you with kids with about a 2 year age gap what are the pros and cons

When This baby is born my daughter will be 7 yrs old and my son will be 2 years and 1 month. What were the pros and cons for you having children close in age

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Jun. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• The two-year-old might play with the baby more easily than the seven-year-old once the baby learns to get around and talk a little.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• They were at around the same stage for a good long time, which was nice. Until they were about 3&5, they were at such totally different places in their lives I felt more stretched in trying to meet their different needs than at any other time in my whole life.

Initially, it was really, really hard. Later, it was much, much easier...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:49 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Mine are two and a half years apart. It was a little bit of a challenge for the younger one to learn to share time and attention, but at that age they do so much playing independently that it actually works out pretty well. At least it did for me. They get along really well considering they are siblings. My brother and I are two years apart and we didn't get along at all while we were growing up. We are good now though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I've parented both ends of the spectrum. My boys are 1 1/2 yrs apart, but my dau is 13 & 11 yrs. younger respectively from her bros. My boys always had each other to play with (pro) They were sometimes partners in crime & out-numbered me (con) Had 2 in diapers (con- it was before diaper parties were popular :p) Being close in the younger years, doesn't guarantee closeness later on. (con)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• My kids are 2 years apart and all they do is fight about everything. If they had more years between them, they wouldn't have as much to fight about.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• We've been so lucky. So far, no cons. They are 18 months apart, boys and have played together for years and continue to do so. I guess there is a little jealousy from time to time but I think that can be expected with siblings.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:43 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I wish I would have had mine closer together they are 11 years apart .
    flgirl196070

Answer by flgirl196070 at 1:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• If they had more years between them, they wouldn't have as much to fight about.

^^^^Yeah you wouldn't think so, but my teenage son & toddler dau found a way! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• The only cons with mine were when they were younger and having a very full plate. They are now 10, 12 and 14. Now they get along well most of the time. Still fight from time to time, of course. I feel like mine get along better because they were so cloe in age. My sister and I were nine yers apart. Didn't really get close until I was an adult.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I have two step kids one 9 and the other is 7, then also have two kids of my own 6 and 18 months, two are boys and two are girls. I like that fact that they are so close in age because they do play well together and they like most of the same things,but also have many problems with the oldest being spoiled by his mother so he thinks he is better than the rest and dont want to do alot with the younger three kids, but other than that it is great..well other than them being so loud..lol
    youngmother606

Answer by youngmother606 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 24, 2013