My 4 year old is making up things about me and I'm at my wits end!!

For the past week or two my 4 year old daughter has been accusing me of hitting, spanking and smacking her when I have absolutely done no such thing! I'm seriously about to lose it. I don't understand why she's doing this to me and I don't know what to do about it. Every time she gets in trouble she says "don't hit me mommy!!" and when we are at my parent's house she says things like "if I pee myself my mommy will smack me in the face." I swear I haven't touched her. She has not a single mark on her body. People around us know that nothing is going on but it's still so frustrating. I'm 4 months pregnant and I'm just feeling overwhelmed by it.

What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• liar

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Punish her for fibbing.
    Time outs or take away a privilege.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:09 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I have no comment, other than she has witnessed something on tv or someone else has done this to her.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:15 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Possibly TV...I didn't even think of that. My parents watch her while intake evening classes and they watch a lot of lifetime and ID
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Your little girl apparently has an active imagination. Maybe she heard something from other kids at the park or preschool or the like. If she has no marks and the people around you know she's fibbing, I'd just see if the phase passes.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Thanks Ballad !
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• She must be learning it from somewhere? Take privilages away. Toys tv, deserts. thengs she likes to do.

Answer by louise2 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• She must have seen this on a TV show. I would monitor what she is watching at home & other places. I would tell her that if she tells more lies like that then Maybe she will be taken away from Mommy & Daddy forever. I would also say that when you tell lies all the time that no one will believe anything she says even if it is true & that it is a very bad thing to lie.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• My oldest DD was the same way at that age. Very big imagination and said several things that were way out there. She never said we hit her but once she did say her aunt hit her in the mouth with a belt buckle when she really fell off the swings. Said she was from Egypt, she was adopted, said her 2 week old baby sister got on top of her dresser and torn her baby doll up... I could go on but it was a phase.. Correct her and let her know how serious this is, time outs, no desserts etc for each lie. She will stop in no time, but don't get all excited about it, negative attention is still attention. So be calm, short and to the point.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:22 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• You don't have to prove to us that no one is abusing her. I think these gals gave some good advice about how telling lies isn't a good practice and you can lose privileges. However you decide to punish this, be CONSISTENT.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:40 PM on Jun. 26, 2013