Normal to dislike sister?

I'm 21 and my sister is will be 20 in a few months. Since we were young, we just never clicked. I remember always wishing one of my best friends were my sister instead. We would hang out when we were younger because we had no choice, but we would also fight or argue a lot.

I still don't like my sister. I love her, but I highly dislike her. She can be cool, and funny at times. But other times, she can be so rude, so annoying nagging, and she's the worse person to borrow money from. I borrowed 12$ from her twice because sometimes I don't have cash on me, and she hounded me for that money, and in a rude way. She's very argumentive. And in the past some years back, she would take my clothes, and let her friends borrow, I'll never see it again. Or I'll let her borrow something, and never see it again. She's very stingy and cheap with her money. She just always seems to have an attitude!!!! Always!!! And she is a potty mouth. She called my son an "asshole" for spitting on her.

Well this is the final straw if I'm going ever going to talk to her again. I have a program coming up, and I cannot do it without her. (Personal) just know, I absolutely cannot do it without her!!! I asked her for the favor (something I rarely ever do) and for the last two days, she has given me nothing but attitude about it! This benefits me, and her nephews future. Someone she never buys anything for, or rarely watches! All she can keep saying is "she's too busy with work". I really need her for this. It's important, and it's only one day for a few hours!! I will never ask for anything again after this. But she's saying "she can't, she don't know if he can".

Anyways....
Do you think it's normal to dislike your own sibling? I mean highly dislike! I don't even like to be around her sometimes its that bad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Jun. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• It sounds like you are using her. Perhaps before considering the program you should have cleared arrangements for your son instead of expecting her to drop everything for you.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:50 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Being related to someone by blood doesn't automatically mean you're going to click. I don't speak to my sister much. We have very little in common. But I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the two of us and how we don't get along because it isn't worth raising my blood pressure over.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:51 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• maybe she dislikes you too and does not want to spend time with you ?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• It is interesting that a great deal rests on money with you.
    I am pretty sure you are not the best sister out there either.
    Maybe some day, you too will see all you are missing.
    Yes it is normal to see the "flaws" in our siblings"

I have no idea what she would need to do to help you and your kids at some meeting. Could it be that she is working to support herself? Could it be that she feels that this is some crackpot scheme (like timeshare, but more of a scam)?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:58 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• I'm kind to her, she asks for a favor, she got it. She needs someone to talk to, I'm listening. She needs to borrow money, of course, I won't even ask for it back if its little change.

The favor I need from her is not illegal, a scam, or nothing of that sort! Its the first and ONLY favor I've asked from her. She doesn't support herself. We live with our mother right now, and she has no problem spending her money on stupid crazy stuff.

And dropping 'everything' for me? Then obviously some people don't know the true meaning of family. If my sister was to ask me right darn now for an important favor, you best believe, I'll call my job, and let them know ill be going in late, or not going in at all. It's one darn day, that I've talked to her about in a week advance. It's also not just about Money, or favors obviously if I haven't gotten along with my sister since we were young. Personality plays in it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Ballad, once I move out, I'll be on the same boat with you.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• K, that little rant just made you sound beyond selfish and entitled. Maybe your sister is the same way, I don't know, but honestly you're acting like a spoiled brat.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• i cannot think of ONE thing I HAD to have any family member do for me once i reached the age of majority
    and
    before then it was a legal obligation on my "parents" part

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:54 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• maybe she knows you hate/dislike her so much
    and does not want to help you

if i knew someone disliked me that much, i would not be doing any favors for them, family or not
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2013

• Normal. It's just part of life. Some personalities clash and some don't. Noone is perfect and as your sister has flaws I'm sure you do as well. If you guys don't get along maybe itd be good to distance yourselves a little. Once you live a part you may find you get along better. We don't pick our family lol good luck and I hope you guys work things out in the long run!
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 1:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2013