Who takes the last name of their spouse in a gay marriage

Is it determined by the couple?
I know it sounds like a dumb question, but I seriously am curious.

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Relationships

• STFU Anon! She's just curious.

My friend who can now marry his partner plans on hyphenating (they both will).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:11 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• i knew a gay couple that werent legally married but had been together so long that one of them changed their last name to the others. the guy that changed said he just liked that last name better and that it sounded better with his first name than his partners did with his last name. it was their choice.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• My daughter kept hers, and legally changed the name of her partner since marriage in our state is not legal YET....but yes, just like any other couple they pick which name they want...in the case of my daughter, her partner and their pending adoption, one adopts and then another one adopts later on, one at a time kind of deal....
    I know a lot of heterosexual couples that have kept their respective maiden names, and not settling for one...

Answer by older at 7:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Same as straight couples, they choose. They may keep their names, or hyphenate or choose to share one of their names, sometime people make some sort of combination of the names to create a new name to share.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• My brother and his partner both took each other's name. My brother put his surname first and then his partner's, the partner put his surname first and then my brother's.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:32 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I think it's really up to the couple. My cousin & her partner kept their own names. Since my cousin-in-law is the one who gave birth to their baby, the baby has her last name. My cousin will have to legally adopt her own son. That's the next thing that needs to be resolved when it comes to gay couples w/ children. But we will be happy with our current victory for now :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:31 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Oooh yeah. Logistics!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:52 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• It is a good question,
    I suppose the could hyphenate the two last names. More likely the more dominant of the two will probably retain his/ her last name
    or possibly thee one who is more out there in the business world.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• And ignore the bitchy anon.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I'd imagine they'd just decide.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:15 AM on Jun. 27, 2013