What do you do when your 3yr old is afraid to poop?

It is a major production when my 3yr old has to go poop. He will hold it in for as long as he can. He cries and throws a tantrum while sitting on the potty. His poop is enormous from the number of days he will hold it-about 5-7 days. I am out of ideas as to keeping the moment calm. I have tried reading books, singing, reward system, SpongeBob on the computer, games on my phone. I give fiber chews daily, fiber powder that you stir(given daily), prunes, prune juice(he won't drink), fiber chewable tabs(tried to pass them on as big sweet tarts). This has made him bloat and gassy. We are usually in the bathroom for 2hrs or more. I have had to lately give him suppositories to aid in his elimination. This whole experience has been traumatizing for me, let alone my son. I am very concerned.

wcolletti

Asked by wcolletti at 5:23 AM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would stop making a big deal out of it and see if that helps. My daughter was almost 4 before she was going by herself regularly and what helped was that I stopped making a fuss over whether or not she went. If that is not the route you want to take I would talk to his pediatrician and see what they say.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• This is very common. Ask him if he needs a pullup when he has to poop and just leave him be. He'll grow out of it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:22 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• The use of laxatives and suppositories can be damaging, I think you need to talk to your doctor and also set a time every day to sit on the toilet, most likey he is holding it in because it is painful when he poops. Talk to your pediatrician, all of this fiber stuff sounds like something for a 70 year old man not a toddler, there may be a bigger issue at hand.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:59 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• You are both stressed out because of each other. Relax and take all the pressure away. Too much fiber can cause problems too. Are these being given with doctor's OK? Watch him closelty for when he needs to poop and only then get him to the toilet. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:01 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Lay off the damn fiber. It sounds like you are giving him way too much as a supplement and not enough from natural sources. Try a stool softener like Colace. Talk to his pediatrician who can better advise. They gave my brother a home enema kit to help him, but again talk to your child's doctor first. Water, water, water, especially with all the fiber supplements. ONE supplement should be sufficient. Either the chews, the powder, OR the tablets. Certainly not all three. You say you are very concerned so STOP trying to fix the issue on your own. Take him to the doctor.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• What does his doctor say?
    I agree with the others. I'd ignore it, and when he has to go, He'll go! He might not make it to the toilet the first time or two, but he needs to recognize those urges on his own so the knows the sensation of having to go.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Is he drinking plenty of water to go with all that fiber? Fiber without moistoure is a disaster.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:47 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Not to mention his digestive system is only three years old. It doesn't need added fiber right now. His bowel movements are big because that is normal. There's nothing clogging his intestinal tract. I'd stop the fiber completely and let his perfectly fine on it's own digestive system do it's job.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I spoke to two pediatricians before giving fiber supplement to soften stool. I have alternated or switched the different kinds periodically-not giving all three simultaneously. Yes, I make sure he drinks plenty of water. He drinks more water than the average kid. You're right about stress factor especially in the moment but will take your suggestions about decreasing the focus on the situation. Thanks again for all the input.

and will definitely follow your suggestions about
    wcolletti

Comment by wcolletti (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Jul. 3, 2013