Quality of sleep

We live in small one bedroom apartment and my eight years old daughter sleeps with me in the same bed. She cannot fall asleep without my hand hugging her. My husband sleeps in the same room, but in separate bed.

Yesterday I had bad stomach cramps due to my period and I asked my hubby to sleep with my daughter, I slept separately and it was the best sleep I had in years, I was so rested and felt awesome.

Today I returned to sleep with my daughter, she kicks, she hits with her hands, her sleep is restless and i cannot sleep at all. I WANT MY OWN BED.

We cannot move from this apartment because we just signed a new lease, our daughter REFUSES loudly to sleep alone and I am exhausted. Advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Health

• She's 8 years old. You should just tell her that she needs to sleep alone now. Put her in the separate bed and you and your husband sleep in your bed. If you're still in the same room, that would be no different than easing her to her own bed in another room. But at 8 years old, she's old enough to simply be told this isn't going to happen anymore. She might pitch a fit a few nights, but you stick to your guns and make her do it, and she'll get over it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• At 8 she is more than old enough to sleep alone, however she will likely put up a fight since that's what she is used to. Why not give her the bedroom and you and your husband sleep in the main room on a pullout couch or futon?
    You can let her pitch a fit and just stick to your guns, or you could try staying with her until she falls asleep and then slipping out.

Answer by missanc at 7:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I agree with others and you might get her a new doll to sleep with or something. She is old enough to understand how restless she is when she sleeps and needing her own space.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:55 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Do you have a sofa? If you don't, buy her a nice sleeping bag and put her in another room. Tell her she can sleep in it the first night in your room, and then she's out. She is old enough to understand that we need quality rest and that her presence in your bed are causing that not to happen. As my mom used to say , "It's time to take this bull by the horns" and get rid of it!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:49 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I would ask her what she plans on doing when she gets invited to sleepovers with friends. You can't come along. Maybe she'll realize that she's too old for this nonsense.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2013