If you believe gay marriage is nothing but a scam for tax benefits

Does that mean you intentionally file separate without a child tax credit so as not to reap any tax benefit from being married to someone of the opposite gender? Surely, if it's a scam when a gay couple does it, then it must also be a scam when a straight couple does it?

Do you also forgo spousal privilege in court, inheritance law, and in determining who is allowed to make decisions when one of you is hospitalized, or, in the worst case scenario, dies? Do you refuse to use your spouse's insurance, even if it doubles the cost of your own?

Anyone who takes advantage of any of these services while insisting that they are not allowed for gay couples is nothing but a hypocrite, are they not?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:30 AM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Anyone who takes advantage of any of these services while insisting that they are not allowed for gay couples is nothing but a hypocrite, are they not

Well yes, but we've already established the particular poster of that comment is indeed one of the biggest hypocrites there is.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• clapping

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Very well said.
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 10:56 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• wow...ive heard a lot of stupid comments the past 24 hours but this one takes the cake! "a scam for tax benefits"...well i guess wanting your loving relationship protected and legalized as marriage in the eyes of the govt is really just a scam.

i wonder if her minister told her that...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:58 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• lol WE already know :P

Someone seems to not understand very well what a hypocrite is though ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Oh this is a spin off from another question?

I have kept pretty quiet on this but those are not the only benefits.
    A friend lost his father this last year. His partner of 12 years was not allowed time off (bereavement) . He was allowed to take 1/2 day vacation, for the funeral itself, since it was short notice. Had they been married, he would have been allowed that time off to help see to arrangements.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• The hospital was only allowing in immediate family and he was excluded from that too.

Think of the simple things you do every day as a married person, and have all those cut off.

Gay marriage as my know is against my religion. That religion applies to me and those of my own faith.
    I also was more a fan of the word union but in the end it is semantics and I have gotten over that with the help of a few friends.
    However, we are talking about human beings that live together, cry together, work together, fight together and love together. They are committed to each other. Why should the not get the benefits of any other human being in this country?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I would guess the tax break isn't enough to make me want to get married to someone for a "scam", I think the most important part of this is ability to get the rest of the privileges you mentioned.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:36 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

A certain old troll popped up again around page 10 of the long question in RD from yesterday. She has suggested that the only reason the OP's daughter is married and adopting is for the tax break.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• She is not taking her meds again, huh?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2013