Now that the door as been opened for gay marriage, would you support plural marriages?

Supporters of plural marriage say they've been paying very close attention to Wednesday's Supreme Court rulings over same-sex marriage. They believe the decisions may have opened the door for their cause.

There are glaring differences between same-sex marriage and plural marriage. While gay rights advocates push to have same-sex marriages legally recognized, plural marriage advocates say they want the practice of plural marriage to be decriminalized.

Principal Rights Coalition representative Anne Wild said the decision on California's Proposition 8 may get the ball rolling. She said the decision will spark more discussion of how to define marriage.

"I think it opens the door a little bit further for people to recognize that we can form our families as consenting adults and should be able to do that without any criticism or ridicule from outside the culture," Wild said.

She knows the high court's ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act won't have any immediate effect on Utah, at all. The portion of the act that was shot down prohibited same-sex couples from getting legal protections on a federal level, and it only applies to state where same-sex marriage is legal.

If polygamy is ever decriminalized, however, Wild wonders if the federal government would prohibit plural marriage families from collecting benefits.

"Does it also apply in a broader sense to a man who wants to take more than one wife?" she asked.

I think as long as they are all consenting adults, it's no big deal.
What about you? Would you support plural marriages?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 10:38 AM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Only if the law is written to protect the interests of all parties involved. Polygamy was a lot easier 200 years ago when women were still essentially property. It's a lot different when it's a woman with 2 husbands and she's no longer just chattel to be traded. I know several people in polyamorous relationships (only one is polygamous, the others are polyandrous). It only works when EVERYONE is on the same page, and I suspect a lot more people try and fail at that than succeed.

The FLDS brand of polygamy would never meet the standards required to protect everyone.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:47 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• i have no problem with it in the "more than 2 ppl in a relationship" sense. but the legality and benefits part is complicated...it would take some work to fix the tax code for plural marriages.

then theres the whole abuse thing NP brought up. add religion to plural marriages and it could get ugly really fast.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:53 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• My only thought is that we'd have to figure out how to work out the taxes/insurance/etc. But I do believe that conscious, consenting adults should have the right to live however they want. As long as all partners are aware of the others and agree to the relationship/s, it's not my place to tell them no.

Hey - I'm all for legalizing prostitution, too :P Off topic a little, I know, but still, lol
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:00 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I think with plural marriage the issue becomes about property rights. I would say at this point it would completely depend on the specifics of a bill being brought forth. The devil is always in the details.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Hey - I'm all for legalizing prostitution, too :P Off topic a little, I know, but still, lol

I"ve got no problem with this either. :)

As for the OP, legal consenting adults should be allowed to love however they want. Again that means all involved must be of legal age and of sound enough mind to consent to what is going on. I think taxes and such will be a nightmare, but I don't have a problem with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:18 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Working out the financial aspect of taxes etc of plural marriages is a little harder. Same sex marriage was no different than a heterosexual marriage except in terms of the gender. So for this reason I don't see plural marriages becoming "legal" anytime soon. However I have no issues with what CONSENTING ADULTS want to do or who to live with etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I think whatever works for anyone as far as relationships go is OK for me. Being married 20 years, all the laundry, cooking & poopy diapers....plural marriage is looking better & better every day! I just need someone who can cook really well! LOL! :)

Submit Resume below:

LOL! JK :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:45 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I'm not opposed. But there would likely need to be a lot of rework done to our court systems to handle questions regarding inheritance and divorce with multiple spouses.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:51 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• The devil is always in the details.

It absolutely is. Some people don't realize, in many places where gay marriage has been legalized, it was illegal for gay couples to divorce, because the rest of the laws hadn't yet been updated. When Canada first passed gay marriage, there was a couple stuck in limbo for 5 years waiting for them to update the divorce laws.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:54 AM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Here's my thing with plural marriage... essentially everything is "community property". So say there is 1 husband and 5 wives. One wife wants out. Does she have rights to the income, property, etc of the husband AND the other 4 wives?

What about health insurance? If the husband is the one who provides health benefits, wouldn't the costs for his employer skyrocket? Covering 5 wives and their ump-teen children?

Don't get me wrong. You love who you love. I just think it would be a logistical nightmare.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2013