New Airplane Flight rules with lapkids?

So I am living in Okinawa, Japan and am flying to texas with my 11 month old son to visist family. Anyway, I went to an agency to buy tickets, when I told them I only wanted one seat, they said the price was 1358$. Then when I told them I would have a baby, IN MY LAP, they charged me 300 more dollars. Just for him to sit in my lap. So I bought the ticket, but then was thinking of how weird that was. I looked up online, to see if I bought them myself, if it would charge me for him. And sure enough, it did. But the tickets i found online were 600$ extra for him. WHY? he is in my lap, he doesnt eat the plane food and its not like i am getting an extra seat.

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Shopping

• Hmm, IDK. As far as I know though all international travel a child needs to have their own seat. I'm surprised they are letting you hold him on your lap at all.

I could be wrong though, it has been a few years since I traveled overseas.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:32 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Welcome I live in Texas...

I think before they use to charge for the seat being used but now I think they just want to charge per individual (child or adult) in the airplane. Man things have gotten so bad it is so sad. GL

Have a nice trip this way...travel

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I know that they charge for each bag of luggage. It just pissed me off so much that its already expensive to buy one ticket. But to spend 300 extra dollar to hold a toddler in my lap for 23 hours. UHHH, that sucks
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Having a child in your lap is extra weight which uses more fuel. Using the bathroom facilities (changing diapers, etc) uses resources. Having beverages (water, juice, etc.) also costs. And don't forget to add them insuring your child's safety (defense in case of law suit)...it all adds up, I'm sorry to say.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 9:43 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• yeah it would piss me off too to be charged extra to hold my kid in my lap for that long. I hope someone has an extra seat on the plane you can use. :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:49 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If you fly within the 50 states and its territories with a "lap child" you will not be charged. However if you fly on any international flight they wil charge you 10% of the adult ticket price. Hope that helps.
    Anonymous

• aww man that sucks I never knew they charged for a lap child. my husband and i were gonna hold our baby (gonna be 6 months) as a lap baby and have our son (gonna be 2) have his own seat is it only for international airplanes or states to?
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 6:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Under 2 yrs old you will be charged for a lap ticket for international flights at 10% of the adult ticket price. Over 2 yrs old I believe is the child price for international flights. Within the CONUS (states) under 2 yrs old is free (lap child) and over 2 is child price with a seat.
    Anonymous

• okay thanks, the 10% deal does make since, since it is such a long flight.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 2:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2009