Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Okay you who know about custody law and such, would you help me?

Situation, not me
Woman and man get married when child is 3 months old, the child is not the mans, other father died before the child was born.
For whatever reason the man does not adopt the child, I am guessing because of SSI benefits but don't know.
Woman divorces man 6 years later, refuses to let man see the child, divorce happens because she wants to marry someone else. After divorce, she does not get remarried.
Man still pays her support for the child, but woman does not allow him to see her except maybe one time a month.
Is it possible for man to get visitation dependent on the fact he will support the child until she was 18.


Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

Level 29 (39,783 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Not sure why he is paying child support especially if the child is receiving SSI. If he is paying child support he can go for visitation.

    Answer by baconbits at 12:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

  • He only has whatever rights she grants him. His child support is essentially a charitable donation, with no claims attached to it, because he is doing it voluntarily.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 12:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

  • What do the divorce papers say? Is the CS ordered or any visitation?
    Is this man paying CS out of the goodness of his heart?
    I would think, that the man could either stop CS or get some sort of regulated visitation.

    I am sure it would depend on the judge and the rest of the particulars.
    He needs to make it clear that this is not his biological child and they both knew that before they got married.

    Answer by Dardenella at 12:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

  • He is paying support because the SS isn't enough and the woman doesn't work, or I should say refuses to work, the only thing he wants to know if he could get a custody agreement, without being the bio/adopted father.

    Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

  • At the time of the divorce, she said that she would allow him to see her on a regular basis, it was a not a factor in the divorce case, because the child was not his, bio or adopted.

    Comment by 2kids2dogs2cats (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

  • Ok, first off, if the guy isn't the father he probably shouldn't be paying support unless he adopted the child legally. But then again you have some judges out there that think since there was someone there, then they need to take care of the child. But if there is support there then he shouldn't have any ties to them. If the guy is wanting visitation he really doesn't have a leg to stand on because it's not his kid.

    I would say if he's paying something then he should have that right to visitation.

    Answer by goofygalno1 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2013