This is not how I feel, but just overheard someone in my office talking about it.

I kept silent, the more I keep out of office politics the better!
Here is what was suggested-
Anyone who is currently on PA, would get an extra $500 per month, if they agreed to sterilization.

I have been rolling this around in my head, and I don't know my thoughts on it, the lady he said it to had a shit fit.

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• There are those welfare queens out there that do have that mentality. As a former foster parent I saw it way to often. Not saying that I agree but simply that I did see women popping out babies just to get the free housing, utilities, medical, food, etc. Didn't matter if those babies were removed from mom or not. I even had one mom tell her 8 year old twins that they could help the family when they were teenagers and have babies!

I would offer free birth control to anyone on PA just to help them but not force it and not sterilzation. Now birth families that have kids removed over and over I would support sterilization without pay. It broke my heart to see the little ones hurt and parents not caring. It was the kids that paid the price and not the parents.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:54 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Apparently the idiot doesn't realize that the majority of PA recipients who aren't children are employed. It probably makes him happier to think it's all single mothers sitting at home popping out kids to stay on benefits. It's not a comfortable thing to consider how many working two parent homes qualify for food stamps, especially the military families.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I think I'd get a lot more money suing the organization that offered that to me.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• What a dick
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I don't agree with that. However, I do think the state should cover birth control and also sterilization if it's something that's wanted. Lots of people who want vasectomies or tubals can't afford it, and insurance often doesn't cover it. I would rather pay for someone's vasectomy to prevent children that they don't want, than have more unwanted children in the world, or pay for assistance for unwanted children.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• $6000 per year per person to not have any kids?
    Does he want to pay higher taxes too?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• he's obviously a fucking moron that has no clue how the system works, how his "plan" would effect our economy, and how many hard working citizens are recipients of public assistance.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• But if it was presented as an option do you think most people would or would not take it?

This tends to tick people off when it's brought up, but it's the truth, and revisionist thinking can't change it. Margaret Sanger founded Planned Parenthood for eugenics. She openly and proudly advocated birth control and abortion services specifically for black women, because she considered them less capable of being responsible parents. This is all in her own words in her own book, if anyone cares to look it up at their local library. That doesn't mean it's what PP stands for today, but like it or not, that IS why they were founded.

There is no way in hell a program like your co-worker suggested could ever be implemented without direct parallels being drawn. While white people outnumber minorities on aid, the stereotype is still racially tinged. Any attempt would immediately be labeled eugenics.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• That's assuming 'they' aren't already fixed. What if they are? What then?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• ^^And along with that, I think insurance should always cover permanent sterilization.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2013