First day of not smoking...

This is ridiculous. I have only been awake for 4 hours and it's like taking baby-steps. Every minute I think about smoking. After breakfast I congratulated myself then realized it had only been an hour since I woke up. Ridiculous. I feel so strange. Like the first few weeks of a new medication. I have nothing to smoke here or I would have already broken. Any of you ladies have advice for the first few days?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Health

• Sometimes if you mimic the physical action it can make you feel better. Puff on a pretzel stick or hold a straw or pencil between your fingers.
    CONGRATS! YOU CAN DO IT!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Do you have chewing gum to keep your mouth busy?

Hang in there. My boyfriend said quitting was the hardest thing he ever did, but he's so glad he stuck it out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Well, I am proud of you!

You can do it!!!!! Go you!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• The straw thing actually helps, but won't alleviate the nicotine withdrawl when it kicks in :( Have you considered buying an e-cigatette to help? Also, here's an article I read that's pretty motivating (can't find the first one I read but this has the same content)

What happens when you quit smoking

maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Good Luck. It's a great step to improve your overall health but it won't be an easy road.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• get some fruit juice, in about a week or so you'll be feeling fatigued all the time as your blood sugar levels return to normal.

trust me, in about 2 months the hurdle will be over and you won't even remember how hard it was to quit. the irritability only lasts a few days. if it's been a few hours since your last cigarette, your blood pressure, heart rate & circulation are already returning to normal.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I have nicorette if I feel like absolutely killing someone. I'm just going to stay positive. I have drank enough water to drown a fish today. Through a straw.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• you rockYou go girl!!  WOOT WOOT! You can do it!

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 3:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I would say do something else that you love to do, and start thinking about that. I've never been addicted myself. But, I hear it is addicting. Hopefully you can keep it up. best of luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Hang in there, you CAN do it!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2013