"Today is a tragic day for marriage and our nation." vs "opening the way for loving and committed same-sex couples to enjoy the rights and privileges of marriage"

Reactions to gay marriage wins at Supreme Court

At the link is a compilation of statements made by various leaders of assorted religions and denominations.

These are not all negative reactions, some are jubilant, but all are representative of the public face of the religion they represent.

(for those who'd rather skim, the first quote is from the US Council of Catholic Bishops, and the second is from the Rabbinical Assembly)

If yours is included and you do not agree, how do you reconcile belonging to a faith you don't agree with?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Religious Debate

• i find some of the reactions utterly ridiculous. those that want to live in a theocracy are free to pack their bags and move to afghanistan where freedom doesn't exist and laws are based on religion.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I didn't see a Methodist one, but I loved the UU response (and since I go to the UU meetings now, I guess it counts, lol)

“This is a proud and momentous day for all who have suffered under this law and felt discrimination based on their sexual orientation. It is a victory for the principle that civil rights belong to all…While I am disappointed that the Supreme Court did not declare the freedom to marry as a constitutionally-protected “equal protection” right that would apply to all states, I applaud this historic step towards equality.”

- Rev. Peter Morales, president, Unitarian Universalist Association
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• (I read most of them, lol, but I might have missed a couple ;) )
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• my opinions do line up with those of the secular & humanist organizations that weighed in on yesterday's decision. and, i also love that our president is an advocate for gay rights.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I'm a little disappointed in the one by the "Archdiocese of Military Services" as the Military is a government organization and should thus keep personal beliefs separate. Not to mention that due to constraints one Chaplain is expected to represent several varying faiths. However in regards to my own beliefs those of the UU and secular organizations best summed up my feelings on the issues.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Some people are just idiots. I saw one response comparing gay marriage to murder and rape. I mean seriously?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• My response is:

My goodness it took you a long time. Welcome to the 20th Century...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• It's the 21st century
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Gotta love the arrogance of the us conference of catholic bishops talking about the "truth" of marriage. Puhlease.
    And all the talk of "just wait.....you all will see the detriment to society this will become. " geez some people are paranoid. Lol
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I can't imagine thinking of love and marriage as "tragic".
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2013