Quick side question popped in my head

I hear that cats can sense when a woman is preggo...can dogs do it to? I think my dog knows but my family thinks im crazy...also I heard you're supposed to stay away from anymals while your pregnant...is this is another "old wives tale?"

CollegeMommy89

Asked by CollegeMommy89 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Pets

• Yes, they can sense when you're pregnant and when you're sick. You can even look up Youtube or Google videos of where some pets have saved their owner's lives. Pets also have an instinct to chew off infections. This man's life was saved because his dog chewed off his severely infected toe because he refused to see a doctor about it. The infection would have gone straight to his heart had the dog not done that. It's perfectly safe to have pets around you before, during, and after pregnancy. Check out the hundreds of videos on Youtube of babies and pets. The only precaution you need to take is when you clean up litter boxes for cats, you need to make sure you wash your hands thoroughly...but your husband should be taking care of that anyway when you're pregnant. Being around pets builds a stronger immune system for you and your kids.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• The only thing I ever heard is that you shouldn't change the cat's litter box. Other than that, I think you are pretty "OK".

As far as sensing??? Who knows for sure.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• It's imaginary, actually. It's called 'confirmation bias' --when people make up stories that explain what they already believe, selectively choosing from random patterns the data that confirms their beliefs.

The reasons for 'staying away' from pets when pregnant is related to some parasites animals may have.

Toxoplasmosis is the cat one, carried pretty much by all cats through their crap: pregnant women should not clean litter boxes.

Worms (heart worms, particularly) can be problematic from dogs, but it's very rare people will get them...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• you are supposed to stay away from animal feces.

Animals are sensitive to many things we are not. They do seem to know when something is up and certainly as the baby moves inside you they do know something is in there.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• We use to have a cat that hated everyone. When I was pregnant, he loved me, if I were to lounge on the couch at all..he would run up and sit on my belly. He did it all the time. I thought he finally liked me. Nope... as soon as the baby was born I ceased to exit again. Got pregnant nine months later and he loved me again. Baby was born and I was forgotten.

My sil was pregnant and her dog would follow her around, he was very protective of her. She was gone for a few days to have the baby when she got back the dog sniffed her bum, smelled the baby and walked away. He didn't follow her anymore... until she got pregnant again.

Animals are weird.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Thanks ladies! im only 12 wks im prob too early too feel movement yet right? I am excited to experience that tho I hear its amazing and yes! my dog does follow me lol sometimes he will lay right nxt to me (thank gosh im not super big yet cuz he tends to lay too close sometimes)
    CollegeMommy89

Comment by CollegeMommy89 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Yes, I think all animals know your pregnant. I don't think you need to stay away from animals I didn't.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• You'll probably feel movement in the next month or so. And there's no need to throw the dog out just yet. *Smile.* Congratulations.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2013