Stadol or Nubain during labor

Has anyone ever used either of these during labor and birth? What were your experiences with it? I am trying to gather some info on them to see if they may be useful during my labor/birth.

monky819

Asked by monky819 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I used nubain and my son came out blue!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I used nubain.. it wore off super fast but my daughter came out drugged. any IV drugs will drug the baby.. they pass through the placenta.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:41 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have heard that stadol just makes you drunk and you still feel the pain of contractions you just sleep in between them and then wake up to pain then you are just druggy when the baby is born...no fun.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 9:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had Stadol with my first daughter, and it really didn't do anything for the pain, just made me sleepy in between contractions.
    kris.aguilar

Answer by kris.aguilar at 9:55 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Why not put your time into researching natural ways to deal with the discomfort? That way you dont have to worry about the adverse effects of some drug on you or your baby!
    Good luck mama, you can do it!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 9:59 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• generally speaking that narcotics that are given during labor are metabolized by the liver, well before it crosses the placenta, of course there are always exceptions. My sister had nubain I believe and her daughter came out just fine. Alot of it depends on when it's given too
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I was given stadol to help ease contractions so i could sleep and all it did was make me dizzy to the point i could not open my eyes....and I never did get sleep lol!!
    lovemlotz

Answer by lovemlotz at 10:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I don't know what narcotic they gave me but it made me feel good...and very loopy... my son came out fine. He was born very shortly after they gave them though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I had Nubain with my last 2. I got it in my hip (rearend), not in my IV. It helps...you still feel the contractions, but it helps you relax so they don't feel quite as strong. One thing to consider, though, is that if you get it more than once, it becomes less effective. So I waited unitl I absolutely HAD to have something. It was 10 minutes before my daughter was born and about an hour before my son was born.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 1:29 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I'm pregnant with my first, but I've heard some stories about stadol... I've heard that it makes you feel... well... very relaxed to say the least! Everyone tells me that it makes you feel high as a kite... Of course I've never had it myself seeing as though this is my first pregnancy... but I've heard the same thing many many times.
    TheLaakSmith

Answer by TheLaakSmith at 8:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009