Things you daycare workers don't tell you:

1)State ratios are a joke. (At least here) While we try- we never have the room completely under control and we will never be able to watch all the kids closely enough for nothing to happen most of the time.
2)If your child is not potty trained by age 3 and in the 3 year old room there is very little we can do to help you with the process from that point forward. There are too many kids int he class and not enough time to take each one to the bathroom every hour like you think we should.
3)Velcro shoes and sip on shoes are the devil. We get sick and tired of putting your 1-2 year olds shoes back on them all day long. Just suck it up and buy the ones with laces-even if they are just for daycare. Wal-mart has some for $5-10.
4)We can't teach a child who is unwilling to cooperate. If you don't teach your child to follow the rules at home what makes you think they will follow the rules at school?
5)No one at daycare taught your kid to bite, hit or scream. It is a natural part of toddlerhood and developmentally appropriate. We don't like it either.
6)We are not allowed to break the school rules for you. Even when you yell and scream and threaten us. It is not out fault your precious little snowflake only eats hotdogs. She can't have them at daycare. No outside food means you to.
7)We love your kids. We really do. We want to hold them and talk to them and hug them but we just can't do it all the time. Part of daycare is learning independence. we can only be one on one with one child at a time and when there are 15 in the class it makes it hard to squeeze in more than a minute or two per child at any given moment. Believe it or not diaper changes are the best time in the world for us. We get to be with just your kid for a few minutes face to face and chat.
8)We can not be expected to never raise our voice in the classroom. Sometimes when things get out of control we have to raise our voice to be heard over the chaos so we can regain a safe level of control. It's not to make your snowflake cry- it is to keep your snowflake from getting hurt.
9)We can't keep your child's expensive designer clothes spotless for you. We will paint, play in the dirt and drink grape juice. You know this yet you continue to send them in their best and get angry when they come home stained. Again, run in Wal-Mart and get a few $5 outfits for daycare. No one here will think less of you.
10)Please don't get angry when we don't know how your little snowflake got a 1/8 of an inch scratch on his forehead. Unless the injury involved screaming chances are we never saw it happen. We have a lot of kids to care for. Thing happen in corners and under the slide that we just don't see. I assure you when we saw it we took care of it but if your child never cried we don't know anything was wrong. We can't be everywhere at once.

I read this on a friends facebook page. As a childcare worker, I find agree with it almost 100%. What do you think of this list? Are you guilty of any of it? Do you agree with it? Just curious! Not supposed to be any kind of debate...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• i've worked in childcare, and i agree with some of it. #1 for starters. state ratios are a joke in my state. infants: 1-4, toddlers: 1-6, two's: 1-12, three's: 1-15, four's: 1-20, five & up: 1-25.

i think the most ridiculous is the two's and three's. though ive also been alone with 4 infants, but that isn't so bad. if you sit on the carpet and pull out some toys, the ones that can crawl/walk to you will, and the others are either asleep, in your arms eating, being changed (which is the most challenging part when you have 3 others crawling around), or in a secure area closeby. but 15 three year olds running around and one adult? an obvious recipe for disaster.

i also had a mom of a 2 year old flip shit because her child constantly pulled her own shoes off and her teacher couldn't find them when the mom came to pick her up, she had a canary because the shoes were $80! hello DUMBASS who sends their 2 y/o to school in $80 shoes
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I have worked in several daycares. With the exception of one of them, they all abused the chid/teacher ratio. There were several times that I was left alone with 17-20 two and three year olds (our state ratio of that age is 1:10).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Never thought about it. Must be tough.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• And this is why, as long as I can help it, my children will never see a daycare facility. Nothing against you, personally, as I don't even know who you are. I worked in one for a very short time, and I didn't care for it at all.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Oh I work in daycare and my kids were never in daycare! They stayed in a home where they were treated like family! I work in a GOOD daycare that follows ratios and is VERY clean and has VERY high expectations on teacher conduct but it is still awful in some ways...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I worked in te 2's room and I agree with like 99% of this
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• i worked in a daycare years and years back
    it was not what the parents thought is was to be

in summer, the numbers increased but the daycare cut the food
    the food was posted that was served to the children
    one teacher posted in her room what was actually given to the children to eat
    she was fired on the spot
    and stafff told if we told parents anything that was going on in the daycare we too would be fired
    i spoke to a trusted parent and told her EVERYTHING, including the baby room- was suppose to be 4 adults 12 babies
    they were so short staffed and hungry for money, they had 17 babies and 3 staff
    that parent i spoke to got other parents together and stopped in unexpected and caught the 17 babies with 3 staff

BUSTED by state

the people who worked there were scared to lose their low wage job, the admin was HORRIBLE
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• i did the 3-4 year old room
    our ratio was 2 teachers, 20 children
    at the time they cut the food in HALF
    they had 22 plus kids daily in our room
    one day, when i came in, they had scheduled 25 in our room
    i went to office and asked were am i going to sit these children for meals
    they said pull the play kitchen over
    i said that makes two more (22)
    and said how are 25 children going to sleep on 20 cots for nap time
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I agree with hope - this is why my kids will never be in daycare

Answer by missanc at 9:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• This kind of makes me laugh. Those that say this is why their child will never be in daycare are the

snowflake's parents!
    Anonymous