I am off for the summer. How can I avoid getting depressed?

I've looked for a summer job, but haven't found one. I work as a lunch lady during the school year. I think I need the structure of a job or I fall into depression. It's happened in the past when I'm not working.

My kids are grown. My house is a cluttered mess. I say I'm gonna declutter every summer, but get overwhelmed and don't. Then I feel like a FAILURE!

I tried contacting friends but haven't heard back. I get lonely.

I know a lot of people would love to have summers off. What can I do so I don't end up sleeping til noon and staring at the walls depressed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2013 in Health

• Do you have any hobbies?

If you want to declutter but not moving along, maybe you can find someone to help you with that. Once your home is organized and looking almost like brand new, maybe this will make you feel a lot better.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• join a gym?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Go. Right now. Find 11 things you can throw away.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• look for volunteer opportunities.... meals on wheels, elder services, pet shelters, hospitals, etc... all stuff that will get you out around people.
    make a schedule for your house... one room a week... stick to it...
    I have summers off too... I freaken LOVE it!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I want to love it! Don't want to be like this!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• I suggest you go to FLYLADY dot com
    She may have some helpful decluttering tips and she is pretty easy to follow.

If you do not have a job, how about volunteering?
    Or try planning in the things you would like to do so
    8AM clean up after breakfast
    9AM go to the library for book club
    11 AM do some window shopping and or shopping.
    12 NOON Lunch

You get the idea.
    Call you kids and see if the grandkids can come and spend the night
    If you belong to a church see if they have any trips planned and go on one.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Those are all great suggestions. The only thing I would add is getting out & soaking up some sun. They say natural sunlight can help lift your spirits. Just don't forget the sunscreen. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• off what? your medication?
    Anonymous

• off what? your medication?

Hey dumbass.... read her question... she works as a lunch lady during the school year.... she is off for the summer... duh...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2013

• Retail stores are always looking for seasonal help. You might also find a similar job in meal service at nursing homes. Saffron tea and St. John's wort are herbal anti-depressant supplements that might help, but they won't help if you're bipolar. Exercise is probably the safest change you could make besides getting another job. As far as decluttering your house, change the way you see it. Don't see it as an extension of your life. See it as an opportunity to earn some extra cash by selling what you don't need. Or, get motivated by the decorating possibilities there are once you clean it out. Start small and before you know it, it will be done. Look up motivational videos on Youtube every day. I have every faith your plan will work!
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2013