Are you afraid of having another special needs child?!

I have a son that sustained a TBI when he was 7 months old. I am now 22 weeks pregnant with my boyfriends child. He has a deaf daughter. My cousin asked if I was afraid my unborn child would be special needs because my boyfriends daughter is deaf. Anyone else have a special needs child and then become pregnant and had people ask you these kinds of questions?! Honestly I will love my child NO MATTER WHAT!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Jun. 28, 2013 in Special Needs

• I'm blind, and many, many people, including strangers, asked when I got pregnant if I was worried that my child would be blind as well. I wasn't because the cause of my disability wasn't hereditary, but even if I'd had a disabled child, I DON't see it as the end of the world the way some seem to. It's a challenge, nothing more.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:26 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I have a daughter who has Down Syndrome. I don't worry about having another child with DS because it is such and incredibly random thing. Heredity causes fewer than 1% of all cases of DS.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• No. I am TTC,if the baby was special needs all would be well
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 4:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• No. I had 2 more kids after my oldest was diagnosed with autism. If it was something genetic they could test for I would take precautions to prepare myself but there are never any guarantees that anyone will have a typical child. Especially now that the autism rate is 1 in 87!

Answer by missanc at 7:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I thought genetic deafness was primarily caused by a recessive gene
    why would you be concerned about having a deaf child

unless testing is done- your friend sounds like an alarmist
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Depending on how far along you are, you could get an amnio & they can check for genetic abnormalities including deafness. Talk to your OBGYN. In the very least you can set up an appointment with a geneticist (through your OBGYN) & they can tell you your probability through blood work of you & your Boyfriend & family history.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I have three boys on the autism spectrum. I knew the odds and had them anyway. I never dreamed all three boys would be on the spectrum. I was afraid of having another special needs, but I knew it was possible.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• ANY person who gets pregnant has a risk of the child being special needs. Not every special need is hereditary... some things they don't even know for sure what causes them. My son was diagnosed with Autism/Asperger's Syndrome while I was pregnant with DD. It crossed my mind- 'what if she has it to? My chances of having another child on the spectrum just went up 20%...' but I never fretted over it. After all there was no suspicion at all that DS would have special needs. That was a complete surprise.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• IF we had decided to have a 2nd child after discovering that our son had autism,yes,it would have been on my mind. His autism has made our lives a challenge. The thought of dealing with that in another kid just makes me extremely tired.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I love my son and he has autism thats a difficult decision it costly and very time consuming to raise a sn child depends on your living and financial status if but u may not have another sn child . The thing i worrie about is when he gets older or wat if somethin happens to me i would weigh that decision . Then u can have a child that dont have sn and it would ease your tjought cause u no your child has a sibling just in case u or dad is not around . But overall raising a sp child is not bad at all its the best decision i made my son makes me laugh cry scream and thats what children do. I was afraid but not anymore.
    lovingmybaby624

Answer by lovingmybaby624 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2013