I Never Knew That Guinea Pigs Were This Sensitive...

My friend has two guinea pigs name Lola and Zoe. They are sisters. They are almost a year old and they have lived together their whole lives in the same cage. They are always cuddled together and, if one is out of the cage, the other flips out and will squeak for her sister.

Today my friend cleaned out the cage and removed the ramp to the shelf where their food sat to give them more room to run around the cage. When she put them back in the cage, Lola flipped out. She started attacking her sister, digging like crazy in the the corner of the cage, pacing, and running around in circles, hurting her sister to the point where she was curled up in the corner of the cage shaking and she had to take her out for a little while. She was trying to figure out why Lola was freaking out because she was fine until she cleaned out the cage, when she remembered the ramp. She put the ramp back in and Lola has been fine ever since. She thinks it's because Lola hides under the ramp and she freaked out when it was gone.

I never knew that Guinea Pigs were so sensitive. Has anyone else had a problem like this before with their piggies? I never had. I changed cages three times with my last guinea pig and he didn't have a problem at all.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2013 in Pets

• Interesting... we didn't have many, and none of them lived in the house (they lived with the bunnies in the hutch outside), so we didn't get a chance to see this kind of thing, live... so, no, I had no idea they could be so sensitive :D
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:20 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I know little about guinea pigs, but I've had a lot of birds, and they can be sensitive that way. I had one who was a great big cuddlebug, except one day I had sunglasses on, and the sucker nearly ripped my face off. I got rid of the glasses and the bird was just fine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:23 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Ours was a great little thing. She gave kisses & even had a special squeak to let you know she had to go potty so you could get her back in her cage. I never saw her freak out, but it doesn't surprise me. I think all animals have their own thing about something. My 14 y/o lab doesn't like it when people wear hats. As soon as they're off, she's fine. Next time you clean out their cage you should get them out & let them run around so she won't see what you're doing. :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I had four females living just fine. One got pregnant when a male jumped in her cage. We separated her when she had her babies and she was never welcomed back into the group. Mine, and I have 8 pigs, are all partnered up because there are 3 that will fight if they are together, get very depressed when their buddy is out of the cage.

When I only has had 3, one got sick and the other two curled up around his igloo as he was dying.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I think, like other animals, they get stuck in their ruts.... They get used to something and it's a security blanket to them.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I think animals in general are much more sensitive than we give them credit for.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Mine didn't have any freakouts like that but when one dies, the other mourns (or at least it seems that way).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:15 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• They are very social animals. When I was sixteen, I had a guinea pig and my little sister (2) had a bunny and they were in a cage together for a while when my cage broke. They freaked out when they were separated. Instead, we returned the new cage and bought a bigger cage so they could be together.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• My two guinea boys are about 2 months old and they don't like being apart for long. We take them outside occasionally, and separately, especially when we are cleaning their cage. They do love their hiding spots though so maybe you can give them a temporary spot while the cage is cleaned.
    LondaSmith

Answer by LondaSmith at 12:09 PM on Jul. 3, 2013