Are cats this smart?

so, i have two adult male cats. ive had them for about two years now. they were both kittens when we got them, but i got the older one about 6 months before the younger one.

anyway, we have a screened in patio that also has storm protective shutters. this is where the cats spend most of their time, they also sleep out there at night (everything is locked/secure and the shutters closed if it's cold or raining) their litterboxes are out their and their food and water. but they are free to come inside anytime they please.

the older one prefers to be inside more than the younger one. he'll scratch at the door and i'll let him in. sometimes, when i get up, he'll go to the door and meow like he wants to go back outside, rub on my leg to get my attention, etc. so i'll open the door but he won't go out, and the younger one will come in.

so im thinking that the older one wants me to open the door to let his friend inside. are they smart enough to do that? or is my older cat just really indecisive? lol

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2013 in Pets

• We had a cat that would ring the doorbell when he wanted in the house. LIttle Bastard...use to wake me up at 6am to get in by ringing the bell. Would scare the crap outta me!

They are smart!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:28 AM on Jul. 12, 2013

• are they smart enough to do that?

YES. And that is just the beginning. Never underestimate cats. He has you trained. You should watch how they can train dogs too.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:18 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Yes they are, I got three and each one of them when they want out, will come to my bedroom door sand scratch then run back down and wait by the door, and at night I let all three of them in, if one is missing the other two will let me know. I had a Yorkie who once got poisoned by a toad, he was outside and so were the cats, they formed a perfect circle around him because he was convulsing, this caught my attention and went out to rescue him, they are extremely smart!

Answer by older at 10:25 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• They are smart enough
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:50 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Yes they are smart but I'd guess that once the younger one comes in, he doesn't want to go out anymore.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:04 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Yes I've had my cat come get me when another one got locked in our garage.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• yes, I think cats are very smart. I really miss mine!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Yes they are that smart. There's been many times when we've accidentally locked a cat in one of the rooms, and the other cats will let us know.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 2:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

Ours never do that. I don't realize it until I open it later or I hear them meow. They don't like each other so maybe that is why.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 1:50 AM on Jul. 12, 2013