Gold?

I have some jewelry that I don't wear, and don't like anymore, so I thought about taking it and getting some cash for it. Have you ever done this? I don't want to pawn it, I want to sell it. I don't need a loan, and don't need the money, so if it's a waste, then I'll just keep it.

I know nothing about gold, and it's worth. Just wanting to hear your experience if you've ever sold any.
Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 28, 2013 in Money & Work

• I have done this many times, not because I was in need for $ but because I was cleaning my jewelry box...I went to the nearest jewelry store, most of them buy gold by the weight......not exactly sure what the going rate is now, but I do know is high....

Answer by older at 10:35 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• We have a few gold and coin places around here that take stuff. BUT I learned the hard way that if there are diamonds (or other stones) they don't give you anything for them. Just the weight of the gold. They don't take the time to stand around and certify the gems, so you lose out.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:55 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I didn't know if I had to go to a pawn shop, or a jewelry store. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• My husband saves the platinum off the instruments his company throws out. We get 2-3k a few times a year. He uses an online company that gives him a better price than the pawn shop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Gold is currently at around $1,200 an ounce (pure) today. I've sold gold many times but I watch the market (google Gold Prices). I usually sell when it's high at around $1,600-$1,900. When the Stock Market drops, Gold prices rise. Even a day can make the difference in $100 or more in your pocket. So watch the price & sell high. Knowledge is power! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• the only jewerly I've sold is my wedding ring. I got a divorce and I tried to see about the gold guys. they were hopeless they were going to give me 400.00 or so for a almost 2 carat diamond. I was like no thankyou and I went to my local jewerly dealer and he gave me 1,000 bucks much better deal.!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I have sold some 14K and silver on eBay and did quite well. I have a scale so I could weigh it. Get several quotes from a few places and make sure you get the best price. Use a magnifying glass to see what you have...........14K, 18K, gold filled, etc. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I did it a while back gold was high, just wanted to get rid of a class ring and some other odds and ends. A company was in town and that is how I did it.
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2013