PA congressman objects to statements on the floor because he thinks they are "open rebellion against God's law"

This is 2013 right?  Not 1950?  

Is there any reason this guy should not be censured?

Same-sex marriage ruling ignites Pa. House dispute

The TLDR: Gay congressman asks to speak regarding DOMA overturn, ultraconservative racist, misogynist, hardcore Christian congressman says no, because 

Metcalfe told NewsWorks/WHYY that Sims' comments would have been "open rebellion against God's law." He told The Associated Press late Thursday he stood by those remarks.

"For me to allow him to say things that I believe are open rebellion against God are for me to participate in his open rebellion," Metcalfe told the AP. "There's no free speech on the floor."

The other congressman still managed to speak under a different rule, but seriously, how is such blatant, open bigotry allowed to hold elective office in the 21st century?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:53 PM on Jun. 28, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• SMH.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• They are voted into office by a majority of their constituents.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:13 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Are these people related to pto? God's law has no place in congress....

Answer by older at 1:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• thats my first thought. why are these idiots allowed a position in which they can make POLITICAL decisions when their religious convictions are so hard wired to them that they can't separate the two?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• if theres no free speech on the floor, what the Congressman said shouldnt be allowed either. God's law is not American law no matter how many times his religion's leader tells him it is.

too bad those who voted for him are likely just at hateful and bigoted as he is...i mean Oklahomans still have Sally Kerns and her hate speech against gays got national attention! some voters like their politicians to carry a big bag of hate speech disguised as religious beliefs. or they do what they did here and redraw the distract so she can keep getting elected.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• The other congressman still managed to speak under a different rule, but seriously, how is such blatant, open bigotry allowed to hold elective office in the 21st century?
    ***********

*sigh* I don't know...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Who really gives a shit what he considers 'god's law'? I mean when are religious people going to understand that they are free to believe whatever the hell they want but those beliefs cannot be forced on any other American? Keep your god to yourself and out of the government it's really NOT that hard.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• God's law and American congressional proceedings are two different things.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I have absolutely no idea.

*headdesk* - that's all I have. Seriously, the stupid hurts.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Might I turn this question just a bit....how is it that such blatant bigotry is allowed against the man who believes in God and states his belief? He is condemed for his belief the same as the gay man was by him. Can't have it both ways.
    Anonymous