Paula Deen!

I heard of all the Paula Deen Stuff. I just want to know if you are on her side or not. For or against?

Asked by louise2 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 28, 2013 in Entertainment

• I never watched her show or bought one of her cookbooks, so she hasn't really been part of my world. I feel bad that she's being raked over the coals for something she said thirty years ago. I know I've changed and grown a lot in that time, and I might not be proud of everything I ever said back then. I guess it's the potential price you pay for being a celebrity.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I agree with Dard she is being treated unfairly, she should be judged for what she does best cooking...none of us are perfect!

Answer by older at 1:29 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I am neither as I do not know her. I do like her shows and would continue to watch. Honestly I have all the cookbooks and kitchen gadgets I will ever need and I still bought one of her books
    I do think she is being treated unfairly.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• She made her bed and now she's lying in it, and racism is not what got her there. It was her lies and her attitude.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:25 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Eric Holder outright lies to congress numerous times & gets away with it. Paula tells the truth and got hung for it. What message does that send?
    DaJaded0ne

Answer by DaJaded0ne at 1:40 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Paula tells the truth and got hung for it. What message does that send?

That instead of saying it makes you feel uncomfortable when your employees use the "n" word in the kitchen, your responsibility as their employer is to tell them to shut the hell up before you get sued. She hasn't taken responsibility for a damn thing all week - it's all society's fault, or someone trying to steal her money, or someone who is jealous. If she'd just owned it and apologized instead of spending the week making excuses, it would've blown over by now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I have never been able to stand her, for several reasons. Just the sound of her talking is like nails down a chalkboard to me. People keep focusing on the racism part of it, but really there are so many reasons everything is blowing up for her. The way she dealt with her diabetes, her attitude, and so on. The way she is handling this racism situation is just the latest in a parade of crap.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• In business people have every right to decide whether or not to distance themselves from someone receiving negative attention. Besides, from what I understand it's about more than this whole racism thing - not that I'm excusing racism. Just that her contract was nearly up and from what I understand it wasn't going to be renewed anyway.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• She's a TV chef who lost her TV gig. Why should I care? I couldn't stand her show, so I don't care if it's off the air.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:28 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I don't take sides.

I get that the culture she lived in for most of her life was saturated in divisive racism. I'm not surprised that she, at a time in her life, thought it was perfectly normal and even upstanding, to feel the way she spoke.

She's 70. So's my dad. My dad's mother was one of the most outspoken bigots I've ever come across. If anyone has an excuse to be so, it's my dad ... and when I was a child, he certainly was. He is no more... because he kept up with the zeitgeist: the changing cultural beliefs about people and their skin colour.

It sounds like Deen has also kept up --probably far more than a lot of 70yos excuse themselves for ('it's just how I was brought up' as if that's some excuse for being a moron!) But she admits to being herself in the past.

Oooh, bad her.

I hope no one else ever finds their opinions shifting with the changing culture, and gets quoted (and vilified) for things said Back Then.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:54 PM on Jun. 28, 2013