Can my almost 3-year-old ride in a backless booster seat?

My son is almost 3 and is about 32 pounds. I was wondering if you guys knew if he could use a backless booster seat... the one with just the seat part, that straps across. My daughter has almost outgrown her infant seat and needs to go up to a toddler carseat, but we don't want to have to buy another one if we don't have to. Thanks in advance for your answers!

mommy_of_isaiah

Asked by mommy_of_isaiah at 9:44 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think she's too young. Invest in a regular booster seat for her...it's worth it. My son is almost 6 and is not yet in a backless one.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 9:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If they are too big for the regular car seat then use the booster my daughter is 3 yrs. and that is what I use for now while I go pick the kids up at school but for a long journey I would get the correct one. Or check with the law there see what they say. GL

If you don't make sure they are strapped in pretty tight, but don't choke them. Just enough to hold them and be safe.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My dd is going to be 4 in April and she is 32 pounds she has been using those seats since she was just turning 3
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• you need to check out the laws of your state as well as the weight on the booster, etc.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:04 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Far too young. She needs a high back booster with a 5 point harness. If she were to use a backless booster she could be seriously hurt in a car accident. There is a sad video on youtube that tells the story of a little girl (around 3 or 4) that was in a booster. They were in a low impact crash. The little girl died where her older sister (sitting next to her in the same booster) wasn't hurt at all because the seat was the right fit for her.

She needs to be at least 4'9"
    And need to pass this 5-step test:

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
    2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto sea?.
    3. Is the lap belt touching the top of the thighs, not the tummy?
    4. Is the shoulder belt centered on the shoulder and chest?
    5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:22 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree with amijanell!! Your 3 year old is far too young to be in a booster no matter how long you are in the car. you can buy a toddler car seat at walmart for 30.00 I think so Please spring for it
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 10:36 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• AmiJane is right. Too young.
    I'd look into the Graco Nautilus seat. It starts out as a full toddler seat with a 5 point harness. He can stay that way up to 65 pounds. Once he is tall enough AND mature enough it converts to a high-back or a low back booster seat that he can use up to 100 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=graco+nautilus&sprefix=graco+n
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Much too young!
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• These answers have been helpful. I want my children to be safe, so if it means spending money I will do it. Thanks!
    mommy_of_isaiah

Answer by mommy_of_isaiah at 11:04 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Too young and too small. Check the weight on the side of the seat. Most of the boosters are for kids who are over 40 lbs, even the 5 pt harness ones. My son is almost 3 and weighs 30 lbs and he fits just fine in his convertible seat. He will be about 40 lbs before he outgrows it. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:56 AM on Feb. 18, 2009