Colonoscopy

I am in my middle 50's, one child in college. I have not been able to talk myself into a colonoscopy. My husband is 10 yrs older than me, carries our health insurance ( I only work part time) and is going to retire as soon as our daughter is out of college, so there goes the health insurance. I am thinking I really should have a colonoscopy while we have good health insurance. I have one scheduled this Friday . Yes, my prep would be on the 4th. I am thinking of canceling. I goggled and have read both pro and cons of having one. Has anyone personally had one and could you give me your thoughts or experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Jun. 28, 2013 in Health

• I haven't had one yet, but get this i'm only 31 and because my mom had colon cancer I have to get one done in a couple of years. My parents have both had one done and they said drinking the stuff before hand is the worse. it's the procedure that isn't that bad, if you have a good doctor and they give you some numbing stuff so you can't feel a thing. I would say as much as you want to put it off, Don't do that. Go in there and get it done no matter what.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• They dope you up so you don't remember the experience. You have to abstain from food except clear liquids for a day or two and then drink some nasty-tasting junk that helps clean out your system so the doctors can look but it's not the end of the world. I'd agree it's better to get it done while you have good health insurance.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I would be interested in haring also. I am of the if it is not broken don't poke it until it does school and have fought my doctor on it for years because he can't give me a good reason why I "personally" should get one. The only thing I get is that it is recommended.
    Having lived this long I have been through a lot of things that were recommended and then not later, but I am interested in others experience and opinions.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• My MIL goes every 6 months. She has polyps. You drink the liquid or they may have pills now. Poop your brains out, go in early in the morning, put you under & done in minutes. Out by the afternoon. No biggie. Worst part is the poopin. Get it done! GL! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• The worst part is the prep. I have to get one every 5 years because my mother died from colon cancer at 37.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:46 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Colon cancer kills a lot of people. Get the colonoscopy. There's no better reason than that.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Just do it.... your this close... just get it done!!! You CAN do this!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Make sure you say 'yes' to the sedation, and the worst part of it will be the fasting.

Colon cancer is a silent killer, it's a very good idea to be screened.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:58 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I have had two. Prep is the worst part. But I am always very happy to hear I have a healthy colon!! GL!!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Expensive and even on med hurts .
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2013