Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So how do taxes work once you are married???

I'm getting married this august, so I guess next year will have to be the first year that I have to file married??? right???? So how is it any different and how does it work??? I guess it just seems sticky to me because I have a daughter who isn't his child and he works under the table for his father so basically he doesn't ever file taxes I don't think....thanks for your help!

Answer Question

Asked by DaraMichelle at 9:47 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 2 (12 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • well he HAS to file taxes. but you can file married, but separately.

    Answer by krazyash023 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • If he isn't filing taxes, you might not want to get married. He goes to jail and then so do you! Tax fraud will be linked to you as well once you are married. What your future husband is doing with his father is illegal. He can go to jail and lose everything over it. Eventually, the IRS does find out. Be careful. Once you are married, you can file jointly or separately. Either way, it's the same and his problems are still your problems.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • If he's working under the table there is nothing to report on taxes because legally he is being "gifted" the money and he is gifting his services... And if the IRS ever found out that is exactl what you would say...

    Once you are maried you do need to say that on your taxes but you would file just as if he were not working. Really that would be all that changes.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:20 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

  • Wow, I love how people can rationalize anything. Even if it is intended to be gifting, there are tax returns required to be filed for gift tax purposes and potential taxes to be paid. Tax evasion is serious. I'd recommend your hubby making it so the job is legit. If it's dad's company, dad can have hubby become a partner and pass some money to him through distibutions. But it's much more complicated than that, so anything would need to be run through a professional tax preparer and lawers.

    As for your question, there is no real change to your return. You will just check a different box and fill in amounts based on the married filing joint info.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.