Epidural or no Epidural?

Hi, I'm currently 35 weeks and I'm still debating on whether or not to have an epidural. I hate pain but I am wanting to try it the normal way. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

KaylaBall

Asked by KaylaBall at 11:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I had epidurals with both of mine...there was plenty of pain before I got them though ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• If you hate pain you're NOT going to like childbirth
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:36 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I freaken ♥♥ LOVED ♥♥ my epidurals!!! But you really need to talk it over with your doc/midwife!! I have a good friend who is an anesthesiologist so I had like a 3 1/2 consult with him... got ALL the info. I went in very informed educated about the process. One of the best decisions I have ever made!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I did it both ways, 2 without then 2 with. I'm glad I got to doit both ways but looooooved my epidurals!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:44 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I opted to have the drugs. The idea of a needle going into my spine was unpleasant.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• I held out a very long time before I got mine, but my husband finally convinced me I really needed one. It sucked. It didn't work so I basically got stuck for no reason. Make sure you have a good anesthesiologist and go in informed about it. Good luck whatever you decide!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:45 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• Funny... I never even felt the stick... I even talked the guy thru what he was doing. I had to visualize it. Getting the epi was WAY better than the pain of the contractions for me. I was also stalled out in labor so the epi let me relax and made everything progress. Every labor is different. Get educated for sure!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 28, 2013

• w/ DD i got the epi right after my first real contraction. it was great. they put me in control of the drip so i decided how much i needed. if i wanted more i pressed a button. i didnt press the button & b/c of my fat weight i still felt a lot & knew when to push...it was perfect (tho painful).

w/ DS i got the epi about 2 hours before i gave birth...he came really fast. i was in so much pain on the way to the hospital & before they got me into a room that i about passed out. w/o the epi i wouldnt have been able to concentrate on birth. again i got to be in control of the drip & just had enough to take the edge off so i could think & focus.

i dont see the point in going thru the pain unless you really want to or have reservations about the epi's affects. read up on it...knowledge is the best thing when it comes to epis so that you know exactly what it does and what to expect.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• I had one - held out as long as possible, but the idea of what would come next scared the crap out of me, so I went ahead and took it when they said it was then or not at all.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Most people don't LIKE pain. That point is a bit irrelevant now, seeing as how that baby has to come out one way or another.

I had one with my first baby, not with my second. I would go natural again in a heartbeat. I hated the epidural.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 29, 2013