Autism therapy for 21 month old?

My son is currently getting evaluated for Autism. So far it seems so, but the Autism specialists aren't coming for 2 weeks.

Anything I can start NOW? He has limited eye contact, no pointing, not really social, about 5 words he rarely uses. PLEASE ADVISE or point me in the right direction.

I want to start now. Thank you!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2013 in Special Needs

• I would post this question in the "Special Needs" category, as well. You will get some excellent responses there, as well
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• great you will be starting before 2 years old

in the weeks you have until the eval, read up on as much as possible
    i started with books on Sensory Processing Disorder (the name has called some- so google that up SPD)

engage as much as possible
    assume child wants to be in his own little world

i read one book on speech, and it suggested using ANYTHING to try to get some speech
    i used french fries, i would give one at a time IF she tried to say a word (i used her name) if she said anything that sounded like a letter sound, i gave her a french fry. sounds horrible, but this speech expert said ANYTHING that is a reward to get ANY sound out- child learns that speech = something they want.

i had to teach pointing to
    start with one sign for please- mine alwys tried to use word when doing the please sign- communication to get what you want is great first start

do not try to get everything done in 2 weeks- c
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• you can get Birth to Three, pretty easy through the county you live in
    and A.B.B. therapy for autism (this can take quite a while to get paperwork through)

as soon as you get dx- get the paperwork started asap
    if declined- file it again- can take a long time for ABA
    birth to three should be easy to get
    birth to three will not do ABA, they work on SPD- but all good
    ABA works on autism
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:47 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Google PECS ( Picture Exchange Communication System). Not being able to communicate effectively has been the cause of many a meltdown. PECS is relatively easy to use and you can make your own pictures or print out theirs. Encourage pointing by asking Where's the------? Help him point to it and tell him There's the ____. You'll have to encourage eye contact too. Using Paxy's example with French fries hold it in front of your face and only give it when he looks at you and says something.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:55 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• When you talk to him make sure he looks at you. Get down on his level and look him in the eyes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:57 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• touch as much as possible
    good chance child has SPD issues with tactile/touch
    firm touch is usually more accepted

birth to 3 may start the brushing thing- daughter totally HATED this, but worked for many- do not remember the name
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Thank you all. I had Birth to 3 come last week and the Autism people coming in 2 weeks.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• http://www.feingold.org/

read this site

i do the ELIMINATION diet 

it helped daughter ALOT!!!!!, we still do it
    if she gets any food dyes, i can tell by her actions- she goes "crazy"

try for one full month with zero slip ups

also- google cows milk and speech delay
    i switched from cows milk to almond milk (not soy) and saw improved speech in 3 days

i do not know why this works for some- but many moms on internet know that cows milk CAN hamper speech
    and i found out by accident, 3 days you will se results IF child reacts to cows milk

almond milk instead of cows milk- try for one week (can lower other dairy, but cows milk was only thing i took out)

email me any time

mine is almost 6 and these has improved a ton

kat 

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:02 AM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Basic sign language really helped my ASD son at that age. Massage or "milking" the arms and legs may help with relaxation and focus. Try having him sit on a small exercise ball while you hold his hands and talk to him. That will help with core strength and focus as well.
    LondaSmith

Answer by LondaSmith at 11:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2013

• Call and ask if your doctor can recommend any good books based on their suspicions of what is going on with your child. Read, read, read! At that age, I kept things very quick and low energy. We had a firm schedule and I really sat and tried to keep my son engaged. By the time he was about 10 and was doing well except for social issues and a few sensory issues, I overloaded him. He hated it but is a rules follower and did as he was told. He made huge improvements.

I wish I could tell you what to do, but each child is very different. I think at 2 yrs, my son would have fit the criteria of autism. By 9, he was dx as dyspraxic with a recommendation of aspergers. At almost 12, he's PDD-POS w/ non hyperactive ADD. I've had a hard time getting doctors to listen to my concerns. The biggest recomendation I can give you, is be the biggest advocate you can for your child! Do not take no for an answer &listen to yourself
    whoodathunk

Answer by whoodathunk at 1:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2013