What can I bring my bed-ridden mom for lunch?

My mom injured her back about 4 weeks ago and she has been bed-ridden since then. She is only able to get up for about 5 minutes at a time before the pain gets too unbearable. She has had a lot of sandwiches and fast food for lunch (that either my sister or I bring her). My work schedule is kind of crazy so I don't get a lunch break at the same time everyday. I would like to make something ahead of time for her lunches just in case my sister or I are not able to bring her lunch on that day. Any ideas on what I can make?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 12:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Spaghetti or lasagna would reheat well. I hope your momgets better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:51 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• A fruit and veggie tray with dip, guacamole/hummus and pita bread, chicken salad and a loaf of bread
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• You can put a great number of things in a crock pot.
    You can make meatloaf ahead of time and to nuke a slice (presliced) is less than a minute. You can premake chef salads
    Same goes for roasts and chicken
    I personally an a peanut butter fan.
    Cakes and cookies and fruits and vegies can pad out or make good snacks.
    One of my favorite "tricks" was to pour boiling water into a thermos to heat it (3-5 minutes) pour it our and refill with hot cooked hot dogs and cover with boiling water. Seal and the hot dogs are ready to eat whenever she is.
    I am also a fan of homemade soups done this way.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• What does she like to eat? Would she like something light or hearty?

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:50 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• I was thinking crockpot would be good. Could you go over before work and start the food? OR you could cook it at your house in the crockpot all night and then take it to her at lunch. Chicken Tortilla Soup is really good.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Soups...even canned in a pinch.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Soups, they're comforting and reheat in a cinch:
    Vegetable soup, mushroom barley, tortilla, minestrone, even matzo ball.
    Stews, you can leave the crock pot, and they reheat great also (just don't freeze if it has potatoes!)
    Lasagna or enchiladas
    Casseroles
    Rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes
    Meatballs
    Meatloaf
    Salads
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Honestly I'd ask her what she's craving.... with the summer heat and a bad back it can make you feel pretty weird/awful. adding to that pain med belly issues.

ask her about sandwich stuff that you can make ahead... does she feel like egg salad? salmon salad? chicken salad? tuna?

also lots of fruit because its cheap, in season, super easy in tupperwear for a bite

also don't forget about bowls of cereal w/ whatever kind of milk she requires nutritionally right now
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:53 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• and how is her pooping situation? (pain meds and stuck in bed can be issues.....) lots of yogurt. like, LOTS....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:54 PM on Jun. 30, 2013