Playroom organization

How do you keep your children's play room organize? I had it organize but then it didn't stay that way. I need some tips to motivate my 4 yr old to clean up her play room when done.

libramoon007

Asked by libramoon007 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2013 in Home & Garden

• My kids did not have a PLAY ROOM. They had bedrooms they played in. Never had that much space to use one room exclusivly for toys only.

Answer by louise2 at 5:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• We had shelves and baskets. ....one basket for small cars and trucks, one for blocks, etc. Larger toys were put on the shelves or lined up on the floor nearby.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:40 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• We have a play room. His bedroom is quite small, and we had an extra room - honestly turning it into a play room is the best use we've been able to find for it. Everything else just didn't flow well.

I just tell him that anything he doesn't put away will get taken away, help break the task into smaller tasks if he needs help, so that it doesn't seem like so much for him. I'll go in his play room and help him by telling him "okay, how where does this go" if he seems like he doesn't know what to do next.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:41 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Everything has a specific place, too. There are shelves, toy chests, buckets, etc. So he knows that everything goes in a specific place in the room. The closet gets a little messy sometimes because there's a basket of blocks in the bottom and he doesn't always put everything else that goes in the closet back neatly, but he does well with the rest of the room.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

•  

We bought some baskets like this. Each one held one kind of toy; potato heads in one, cars in one, toy tools in one, dinos in one... and so on. We printed a little picture for each and uses tape to attach them to each basket. Then the kids knew at a glance what went in what basket. then if they wanted to bring the dinos out to the living room to play, they could ask us to grab that one basket. And it was easy to put back.

Each night have a clean up time. Put on a fun song and make it a habit each night. You only have the time it takes for one or two songs... whichever you decide ahead of time.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:00 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Thanks...I have a big outdoor three season room for her and I rented this house for that to be her playroom but she just has it a mess. Just bought some more bins plus the ones we already have. Going to tackle this tonight.
    libramoon007

Comment by libramoon007 (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• We have baskets and totes with a picture on it of what belongs in it. My boys are getting old enough that we are going to switch to the names instead of pictures.
    betty70

Answer by betty70 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• BINS, BUCKETS, SHELVES, LAUNDRY BASKETS, ANYTHING

storage storage storage
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• we do have a playroom, because when my ex moved out his mancave became the playroom :)

i have two ginormous bins with lids that hold most of their stuffed animals. then there is a toy shelf with smaller bins for little things. i have a lot of little bins and crates for toys and they all pick up at bedtime and earn a star on their chore chart for it. at the end of the week if they earned all their stars, they get an allowance. 6 year old gets $1, 4 year old gets 75 cents and 3 year old gets 50 cents. they have their own wallets that they keep their money in and once a month they get to choose how they'll spend their money (dollar store, ice cream, happy meal, etc)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• or, they can save it up for something more expensive.
    tnm786