My 15 yr old daughter just gave up riding horses!

All of a sudden, my daughter has completely changed her life plans. She been into horses the last couple of years. The entire family has invested a lot of love, and time and money on these pets! Now that she's turning fifteen, she's through! I'm reeling! This includes changing her college major from equine studies to ??? Who knows? She doesnt! Has this happened to anyone else?

LivininChrist4H

Asked by LivininChrist4H at 7:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Not from horses. very common and will be for a few more years. She has all kinds of possibilities before her.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• You went and bought a horse and every thing for a young teen? You actually listed to her. When she said she wanted to major in college equine studies? How old was she when she told you all this 13? You have learned a valuable lesion.    Kids change their minds.  Maybe you should have started with just riding lesions for a couple of years.  How much are you out of  $$$$?   I hope you do not do something like this again.  She is almost old enough to get a job. Let her pay for the next "I want to be"

Answer by louise2 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Don't feel bad, my 22 y/o still doesn't know what he wants to do yet! Ugh! I have to agree with Louise, next time she gets a bee in her bonnet about what she wants, encourage her all you want, but let her fork out some of her own money to pay for it. It's best she figure these things out now before she declares a major in college. Then you'd be out even more money. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• She's 15. Of course she changed her major. I changed mine in college two or three times - and after graduating am still not happy with what I chose!

Maybe before you do anything drastic sit down and talk with her about why she suddenly changed her mind and find out if there's any chance of her rechanging it before you just start selling horses and stuff, only to have her change her mind again.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 9:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• This includes changing her college major from equine studies to ???

whatever the hell else she finds interesting
    or are you attempting to convince us she is already attending university and a semester from graduating with the change causing financial hardship?

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:42 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

That's because she's only FIFTEEN!!! She's going to change it a few more times after this... and she should!! WAY TOO YOUNG to know exactly what she wants to do with THE REST OF HER LIFE!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• I want a pony!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:59 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Maybe she discovered BOYS.....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• LOL that too
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:17 AM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Who among us knew what we wanted to do that young? I have two college degrees and am not using either of them. My sister started out in fashion design and now teaches kindergarten. My brother has studied political science, history, and linguistics, of all things. Maybe your daughter got burned out. Maybe she stumbled on a new interst. She's young. Let her explore, but I agree. Also encourage her to invest her own heart and money into her future endeavors.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:50 AM on Jun. 30, 2013