Do you believe that children can see and speak with spirits?

This may sound a bit strange but my 5 year old son wanted me to cut up an apple for him, so I went to the cupboard and got out a knife that I use all the time to cut up the apple.
Out of the blue he says, that's Grandpa Jim's knife.
Jim was my father who passed away in 2008 when my son was only 4 months old.
The thing is, after he passed, I took a bunch of his dishes from his apartment and that knife was one of them. I can't recall ever telling anyone that that particular knife belonged to my father, it's just an ordinary stainless steal pairing knife. How in the world would my son have possibly known that the knife was grandpa Jim's knife?

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 8:33 PM on Jun. 29, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I've heard enough stories to convince me it is possible. They can remember past lives too up until age 5 or so.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:46 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• yes

daughter used to have conversations with my father
    Anonymous

• Lately I have dreams of him coming to me and telling me that he is at peace now and that he is happy and not to worry

This is visitation. He does want you to know he is good now. He visits when you are upset because you need him. He visitis on special occasions too (birthdays holiday etc)
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:09 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• I believe small children are receptive to spiritual energy. If not taught to notice the energy, the receptivity goes away over time. My cousin's three-year-old boy put his hand on my belly and said "Baby?" a few days before I had any clue I was pregnant.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I believe....my kids have described in great detail their angels and crossed over grandparents. Not any more but when they were 3-5
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• or at least visit me in a dream.

They will if you ask them to.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:03 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Yes I think some do.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Yes they can and I think it is sad when parents tell them to stop.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• OP, your dreams of him telling you he's happy are visitations. That is a real blessing. Often the difference between a visit and a dream is a visit is sequential and makes sense where dreams often don't. Anyway, your dad is watching over you. Celebrate!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:01 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• He may have heard you say that to someone. But I do believe young kids & even older ones with disabilities can communicate with spirits. My oldest who has developmental & language delay communicates with his dad quite a bit. (he passed in 2010) And occasionally with my grandparents. (they passed in 2009) Some of the things he says are almost chilling. But I don't freak out, I actually find it comforting. I believe he is comforted by it too. You should just ask him how he knew that was his G-pa's knife & see what he says.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 29, 2013