Do you think I was wrong?

DS (10) had some money he just *had* to spend today. We were at the store and he was looking at stuff. I told him I was not going to front him any money if he didn't have enough and I told him to make sure he had enough for tax on top of whatever the cost was (he usually figures out the tax himself FOR FUN on my purchases) so when he insisted he had enough I believed him. We get to the register and.. he didn't have enough. He asks me if he can borrow money and I told him no, I had told him before he decided on a purchase that I wouldn't do that. Then he looks at the cashier and told her how much he had in a whiny voice, like she'd be willing to change the price for him or something. I asked him if he wanted to go with something smaller and he said no and got all pouty about it and I just told the cashier we'd come back another day.

Would you have caved and loaned him the money or do you think I did the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jun. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Nope.
    I might have if it were a penny or two but it is a good lesson, if you do not have enough money then you can not make the purchase.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:18 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• I would have paid the rest of it for him.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• It would depend on two things. How much he was off and if he had the money at home to repay immediately. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:20 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• if it were a few cents or so, yeah-but I would have reminded him how much tax adds to things
    otherwise...you warned him so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:21 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• That pouty face is a powerful thing isn't it?! I think you did the right thing. Like some of the others have said, if it was a small amt. & he could pay you back as soon as you got home, then fine. Otherwise, he needs to shop more wisely. Good life lesson mama.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• I think you were fair to warn him, so don't feel bad following through. You were there and you know what's best. Trust yourself. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:37 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• You absolutely did the right thing!

You laid out the rules and I'm a firm believer in carrying through with what I say. Next time he'll know you won't change your mind.
    The product will still he there when he earns a little bit more money.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:38 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• I would have done the same thing, regardless of how much over the item was. You told him the rules, he has to deal with it!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:49 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• You warned him!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• It really depends on the difference. Under $5 & I would've fronted.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2013