New mom breast feeding

I have really sore nipples I'm afraid I will have to stop nursing if this keeps happening.. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Jun. 29, 2013 in Health

• How long has it been?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:10 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• 10 hours

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Oh man, the first few weeks with my oldest son were absolute hell. My nipples were cracked, bleeding, and scabbed. I was in so much pain. I saw a lactation consultant who helped a lot, and the rest was just time. I healed and was able to exclusively breastfeed him without any problems after that. Remember, you are learning, but your baby is, too. He or she will get better at it and will be able to nurse more efficiently, getting more milk out with less effort, and without pain. I would suggest speaking to a lactation consultant. Beyond that, just give it a bit of time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:15 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• I'm still in the hospital for another day so I wll see if they can provide one.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Good, hopefully they have a helpful lactation consultant on staff who can tell you how to improve your latch. The better the latch, the easier it is for the baby to get milk out.
    Also, congratulations. :)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:19 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• yes. it is going to hurt
    your nipples have never been stimulated the way they are now- you should get used to it and they should toughen up. rub some breast milk on them and go braless.
    when you get engorged (probably tomorrow or third day PP) relax. its normal. and that hurts like a sonufabitch

try
    here

and

here

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:22 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Also, if you don't get engorged, that's normal too. I never even knew when my milk came in either time.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:23 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Is the pain at initial latch, or all through a feeding?

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for loads of help.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:28 PM on Jun. 29, 2013

• Talk to the nurses, because they sometimes have good tricks that they learn over the years, but a LC will be a HUGE help. Are you getting enough of the nipple into your little one's mouth?
    I agree that the Breastfeeding Moms group can be really helpful.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:48 AM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I had a lot of pain initially, and I found out it was because I was only getting the tip of the nipple in my baby's mouth. So she wasn't getting milk, I was getting sore, and we were both getting frustrated. When I learned to push more of the nipple in, we had less trouble.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2013