Traveling with an anxious dog

We are getting ready to leave for vacation. It's a 12-14 hour trip, and we break it up over 2 days. My Beagle, Max, hates to travel. He shakes, pants, his heart races, and he sheds terribly. We have used tranquilizers in the past, but Max started having seizures a few weeks ago. The vet said no tranquilizers!

So, here is my question....is there any way to help keep him calm for the trip?

We can not kennel him, no one will take him.
Putting him in his crate seems to make it worse.

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 30, 2013 in Pets

• Why can't you take him to a kennel? Does your vets office offer boarding services?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2013

• My Sister has two dogs, a cat & a bird. She found a Woman that works with her friend to come over twice a day to feed & let them out for a while for $25 a day when she goes away on vacation. Maybe you can find someone like that near you?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:02 AM on Jun. 30, 2013

• There's a natural supplement called Rescue Remedy that might help. But I'd check into all available pet-sitting services first because it sounds as if Max would be happier not going on the trip.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I hear the Thunder Shirt works really well. It's a compression shirt for animals, that gently squeezes them giving them the feeling that someone is holding them which helps calm them down. People use it for dogs that get anxiety from thunder storms hence the name. Also frequent stops to let him run and get plenty of exercise with help as well. Bring toys and his blanket that he knows and loves. Happy travels.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2013