An article about a key witness in Zimmerman trial brings race into spotlight -again

http://news.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin-case-rachel-jeantel-went-star-witness-143356744.html

Obviously we weren't there to hear & see her testify. The descriptions about her demeanor are less than favorable. But does that make her incapable of telling the truth? They raised some serious issues in this article. Do you agree with them? Some of them? Your thoughts please

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 30, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• She is a reluctant witness...and product of her environment, but this is by no means makes her untruthful in my eyes.....

Answer by older at 9:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I think she was an ill prepared unreliable witness. I don't know what she heard on the phone, I don't know why she didn't call the police or if she didn't think the altercation would result in her friend's death. The jury has very specific rules they must abide by and their personal feelings of her are not something they can factor in. Although, I am sure some of that makes a person a little biased of the information she gave on the stand. Same rule applies to all of the testimony they hear.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2013

• There description of her sometimes reminds me of the way some new moms come in here and talk. Using words like "Dat" for that.
    It is hard to understand, a foreign language to a lot of us.
    Is she untruthful , hard to say...but she is uneducated, which is sad!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Honestly, maybe it makes me a bad person, but I'm so damn tired of hearing about and thinking about this case I could scream.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• "although, I am sure some of that makes a person a little biased of the information she gave on the stand.

True, but now another piece of info was made public, and it turns out she can't read very well.. And according to MSN...."she was forced to admit that not only did she not write a letter that she supposedly sent to Trayvon Martin's parents, but she couldn't read it, either. "Are you able to read that at all?" defense attorney Don West asked. "Some," Jeantel said. "I don't read cursive." After several painfully awkward moments, Jeantel only managed to read her own name. The letter — reportedly written by Jeantel's friend — described what she heard while on the phone with Martin just before his death. 

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I can't hold not being unable to read cursive against her. Cursive writing is falling out of the school requirements. While both my children (younger than our star witness) were taught cursive, neither of them is required to write in cursive in any class. If one doesn't practice a skill, one cannot master it. Using the computer to create the various documents is the way things are done now.

I don't know how the jury will weigh her testimony. Based on what I've heard from all of the prosecution's witnesses, I don't think they have enough to garner a conviction, but stranger things have happened.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2013