when is a good age to take a pacifier away?

I always said one year its gone. Well now that one year is approaching in less than a month.. I don't know if I want to take it away yet. He isn't addicted to it.. I just don't want people looking at me in public saying.. omg look at that child suck on that binky!! LOL
So when did you take your LO's away?
And if they didn't use one them move right on along. LOL

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How has he been using it?

My son only ever used it when he was teething and around 10 months started chucking at me because it wasnt helping and preferred to just deal with the teething on his own! Thats how I got rid of it.

I would try to only keep it for periods of time like teething where you cant do much to soothe. If he gets upset soothe him with cuddles etc and dont give him the dummy (thats what we call it in England).

If he is just sucking it in times he doesnt really need it it probably is more of a habit and would be harder to let go. I would work it down to just times when he NEEDS it as opposed to wants it and then start taking it away..

Sorry if I got your situation wrong but thats the only way I can describe what I meant.

Also if you are really relaxed about it and dont get angry if he wants it or you are struggling to wean him off I think it will be a lot easier..but if hes not addicted itll be easy too
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• When the first tooth pops through.

You may want to worry more about the health reasons to take it away more than the superficial reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• if he's not addicted to it toss it now cause my daughter was then either i waited wanting to hold on to my "baby" and right at 2 she got a sudden dependence when the doc said we need to loss it to prevent dental problems
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 10:12 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Only my oldest took one and he gave it up himself at 9 months when his first tooth came in. BUT, my doctor and dentist both say no later than 1 year so you may want to go ahead and loose it while you still can.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 10:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i took baileys away as soon as i could she only had hers for a few months
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• 9 mos old. I found I was getting addicted to using it rather than my child.
    Sweetie2

Answer by Sweetie2 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I thought I'd do it at one year too, but when one year arrived and we were dealing with taking away bottles I decided to wait. My pediatrician said it will not damage their teeth. However, he did say you should limit it to sleeping times after one year because it is harder for them to experiment with language with a plug in their mouth. So, that is what I have done; my babies get their pacifiers at bedtime and naptime (and in the car sometimes), but I hide them the rest of the time. The pediatrician said we could take them away whenever we felt like dealing with it, but there is no medical reason they have to be taken away. My twins are almost 18 months and I intend to take away the pacifiers before we start potty training or moving to toddler beds (one thing at a time). Good luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:18 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• i took chloes away when she was 8 months, I didnt want to ever give her one and her dad gave it to her one day and then she loved it, but it was easy to break her from it.
    I would take it now since hes not addicted to it because the longer he keeps it the harder it will be to take it away
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 11:14 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• The sooner you take it the less addicted to it they are. When parents wait till the kids is 2 they have had more time and it is harder on you and them. You said he isnt addicted to it then dump it now before it become a problem. I took my daughters away when i took the bottle at one and she did just fine.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:26 AM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If he's not addicted do it NOW!!! Oh yeah...the sooner the better, it only gets harder!

For us, there were three different "right times"...the oldest we took at 13 months, the second at 10 months (new baby coming) and the last at 4 months (weak suck and couldn't keep the stupid thing in his mouth)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2009