Let's talk Call Centers

I once worked for DTV
Let me tell you, people are nuts about their cable.

Once had a CCI (shorthand for Customer Called In- well what else are they going to do?!)

complaining about being charged for porn. He husband was in the background shouting fraud and let it be known he was going to sue us for false billing.

I explained to her the charges were valid and helped her discover which receiver and at what time the movie had been ordered.

The last thing I heard before she hung up was, "You lying bas..."

I also made the mistake of working on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Some memorable calls included:

"But it's Christmas! What are we supposed to do without TV"?
"How can you disconnect on Thanksgiving"
They were months behind in Porn laden bills...

What About You?

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 6:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I also worked for the cable company.
    Lady called yelling about porn charges on her bill, about $700 in a month's time, saying it must have been her son. I told her she needs to put a password on the box and change the parental controls so her boy couldn't do this again. I said "well, you know how boys can be at a certain age... " and she snapped back "He's 43!!!!"
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Not a call center, but customer service. In high school I worked at Dairy Queen. Had a lady yell at me because her hot fudge was sliding down the side of her sundae and melting the ice cream. I remade it once just to be polite (the customer's always right). Well because it's HOT fudge, of course the same thing happened. I made it once more and she came back up to the counter again to complain. Finally I said, "It's HOT fudge... it's hot... the ice cream's cold... what do you really expect to happen?" She went back to her table and didn't come back to the counter again.

The there was the guy when I worked in the ER... he had a curtain rod stuck where the sun don't shine... said it happened when he was hanging curtains... yeah right, I always hang curtains while stark naked and standing with my back to the window...
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Not a call center story but I was a cashier at Kmart while I was in high school. A customer tried to give me a very obvious fake check. She got upset when I told her that I would have to have the check "approved". She cussed me up and down complaining how I was stupid for not taking her check. I took it immediately to my supervisor and she left. Apparently, she had passes about $1000 worth of these fake checks that day and I was the only one to catch it. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I don't have any call center stories to tell but those are pretty funny!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Wow, I guess it takes all kinds of people.

I don't know if this counts, but I worked for a short time as a receptionist. It was at an employment agency, not at a call center. One of the employment counselors was having an affair, and I found it very uncomfortable to take messages from both his unsuspecting wife and his lover, and relay false information to his wife about him working late or going out to dinner with his colleagues when he had made it very clear what he would really be up to. I didn't feel it was my place to intervene directly, but one day I got even at least a little. I told him that Claire was on one line and Kathy was on the other, both wanting to take him out for his birthday, but I couldn't remember which was which so he'd have to figure it out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• LOVE Call Centers! Truly I do.

The best one was working for Charter. The guy was trying to get reimbursed for a missed program on On Demand. I explained that On Demand was free so there was nothing to reimburse him for. He went on and on about how he had this date night planned and it was ruined. At the end of the call he was crying.... I think he was wacko!

Other memorable moments... one guy called me every name he could think of.... all the while I had him on mute and everyone was listening to him.

Another lady told me she felt like going off on me because she knew I was not allowed to hang up on her. Her kids were yelling at her to hang up and she said No that she was having too much fun. I just turned the volume down and let her go.... LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:55 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Once a customer called in and stated if we didn't pick up his product that he claimed he never ordered, he was going to put it on the front lawn and piss on it.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I worked at Choice Hotels call center years ago. The worst was the creepy foot fetish guy. He called ALL the time. Freaked the shit out of me. Now I would just laugh at him, but then I was totally freaked.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• When I worked in tech support, there was the world's dumbest IT director who used to call up and ask really stupid questions. Once, he was having trouble getting a file exported out of the system, and it was something unfamiliar to me. So, I found the documentation, got it set up, and called him back. Our conversation went a little like this:
    ME: OK, so you go to the File menu, and select Export.
    HIM: Yeah, I did that.
    ME: So, you choose "_____" export (it was the name of some order-entry system, I don't remember which one.)
    HIM: I did that.
    ME: OK, so next you should have a dialog with "_____" at the top, and three pop-up menus...
    HIM: Yeah, I tried this about twenty times, and no file.
    ME: So, I choose a Zone, Edition, and Section...
    HIM: Yeah, I did all that, and no output file!
    ME: Then I click OK...
    HIM: Oh, you've gotta click OK?...
    ME: Did you get the file?
    HIM: ...Uh...yeah.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I wouldn't last a day in a call center. People are morons.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:43 PM on Jun. 30, 2013