Does anyone know anything about Buddhist Prayer Flags?

We had ours hanging in the shed for the past two years. We moved the flags to the back patio and immediately after we had a big streak of bad things happen.

Were we not supposed to move the flags? Un-related? Maybe the bad things will turn into our true life path?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:16 PM on Jun. 30, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Flags swiped? My first suspect would be any Christian neighbor who was offended by it.

Because, you know, non-Christian flag removal trumps that little commandment about stealing.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 7:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Not related :)

Prayer flags used to be primarily for blessings on a location but they were also used for healing, depending on what type of Buddhist you were/are.

If I recall correctly (and I may not be) they don't even originate with Buddhists. I think they were appropriated at some point.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• They are symbolic only so no bad "karma" is associated with them should you hang them in a new location (then again Karma in Buddhism is simply a reflection of the nature of cause and effect not a reward or "punishment" for whatever)

They should be from left to right Blue, white, red, green, and then yellow. If they are old and worn however you might consider showing a little respect and replacing them with new ones and burning the old. 

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Since I hung on the porch I have lost a few of the flags. They are nowhere to be found and it hasn't been that windy. Found that odd.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Could be they were just old and being hung in a shed with dust, mites, and who knows what bugs caused some of the material to deteriorate enough for the flags to fall off. Don't try to assign your superstitions to a religion you don't understand. 

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I was just adding a detail, I do that a lot. There actually were mites in the shed. Treated with neem oil.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Hmmmm???? I'm thinking of the show Haunted Collector! Have you ever watched it? This older guy goes into haunted houses with his team to find an artifact that may be haunted. It's usually causing disruptions in the home or upsetting the family/bad luck etc. It's usually an item recently brought into the home that has a bad energy attached to it from a previous owner. So he takes the item back to his "museum" & sprinkles sea salt around it & puts it under a glass display & magically the family has no more Hauntings. So my opinion is that it may hold bad energy from another owner or place it's been. I would put it in a box & sprinkle it with sea salt then bury it. Hey it won't hurt & it may help! Check out the show if you get a chance too! GL! Or give it to someone you don't like! LOL! JK :)

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2013