How can I make this vacation the most enjoyable?

I live an hr away from my SO and we have been dating for almost 3 yrs. We only see each other on the weekends but we talk everyday (either on the phone or on the internet). We were able to pull a few strings to allow us to have 5 days together. We get along great and have a couple plans on what we are going to do. He is seeing this as a test to see if we should follow thru on our plans to move in together and then get married.

Any tips? Anything I should bring to make it more comfortable to me? What should I cook for him? (please keep in mind that it is summer so using the oven is not an option. He does have a grill. And I don't have money for gourmet food)

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 7:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2013 in Relationships

• If you want this to be a test of living together, then you need to make it as close to everyday life as you can. Otherwise you guys will have unrealistic expectations of each other.

So don't do anything you wouldn't do on your weekends together. Real life is more like those days than like a vacation.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Maybe cook something you really enjoy one night, and let him fix something he especially eally loves on another night so you can try it. Have fun. But honestly, the idea of having this vacation as a test to see if you should go forward with your plans to live together seems unrealistic to me. This isn't going to be real life, since I assume your kids won't be there. Even if they are, this is a vacation. A break from reality. Fun time. Everybody will be onbest behavior. It's not logical to think things will always be the way they are on a five-day trip.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Just be yourself and have fun. In order to know wether someone is right or not takes real time and experiences together. I doubt his logic of thinking that 5 days will determine what he wants to do with your relationship. I would think you would question it as well. Do you know his family well- if so, how does he treat his mother and what is his family dynamic like ?

I love to make shish kabobs. Wooden skewers, marinated chunks of meats and diced veggies... They are great grilled, you just have to rotate them often. ( put tinfoil down beneath the kabobs) A romantic picinic might be fun.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• How many kids do you have and what is his story ?

LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Have you worked out the issues about discipline with your kids? I know there was an issue a few months ago.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• it's the start of a test of your relationship. I would say making fajatias, spagetti, chicken alfredo, tacos and homemade pizza is some good meals. Do stuff that's on a budget, that's a true test on a relationship. if you can just enjoy being together, watching movies. going to the zoo, that sort of thing. I wish you the best! hope you have a good time!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 9:59 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Kabobs on the grill is always nice, light and inexpensive. Served with seasoned rice, the meat & veggies go even further.
    KPBMom

Answer by KPBMom at 5:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Ballad, you are absolutely correct. It won't be a true test. My kids won't be there and I won't be completely comfortable as it is still his home and most of my things are not there. It will be a test to see if we can stand being around each other, but then again, it will boil down to it being his house and my things not being there.

I still think it will be nice to spend the time with him. But then the next week that we have to be apart isn't going to be so great.
    Argh, I can't wait until we don't have to say goodbye again.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I have 3 kids (17, 15, 12) and he does not have any. I have met his parents and his sister. They are all nice people. His parents have been married for over 30 yrs and actually started their relationship as long distance (almost same distance) as well. He treats his mom with respect. He has a great job and has been living on his own for many yrs. We have an awesome relationship built on love, trust, respect, and communication.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Yes, we have worked out the issues. My kids are much better behaved now and we all feel better now that everything has been discussed.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2013