Starting to Potty Train

I am gonna start potty training my 2 year old little girl. Any advice you could give would be great!! I got the timer watch that goes off every 30 minutes and got her a seat to sit on the "big girl" potty.

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she is not showing interest or signs of readiness then don't force it. In fact even if she is showing readiness don't force it. This is something that actually requires very little 'training' It is something they all figure out on their own in their own time. With many kids the more you push the more they will push back. Let her take the lead. Just this once, let her be in control. Teach her what she needs to know but leave it up to her when she is ready to put those lessons into practice.
    Anonymous

• Try it and see. If it doesn't go well after several days, stop and try again in a few months. My daughter wasn't ready till three and a half.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Read books to her. The library has lots of them. Get her used to the idea. Summer is a great time since you can let her run around in "big girl underwear" and clean her up when she has an accident. The best advice I can give you is just to relax and not get frustrated. She will eventually get potty trained. But, like most milestones, she will do it on her time, not yours. Just encourage her, give her all the resources and guidance you can, and realize that you really aren't in control here.

You can try the reward chart. It works for some, but not for others. My brother told his dd that if she only pooped in the potty for a month, they would take her to disneyland. She did it but then when they got back from their trip, she went back to not being potty trained.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:39 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• IME it is best to not take them to sit on the potty every 30 min. It becomes a struggle and a fight. With DD I would ask her every 30-30 min. if she wanted to sit. If she said yes. Great. If she said no. I said okay and left it at that. when she got to where she used the potty 50% of the time I started letting her pick diaper or panties. When ever she did use the potty I praised her. No treats no stickers... just a pat on the back so to speak. I got as excited as she did. When she got to where she was using the potty 85-90% of the time we 'ran out of diapers' and she had to wear panties. She was potty trained form that day forward at 2.5 After a year long battle with DS I just wasn't up for another fight so I decided she would potty train when she potty trained and I was not putting forth any effort at all. lol. Turns out it worked quite well as a technique!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 PM on Jun. 30, 2013