Looking for nationwide bank alternatives?

We've been using one certain bank because we travel so often. It was a nationwide bank that just sold all the locations in our hometown. When my husband was out of town, he'd simply put the money in that account and I'd get it here. We can't find any banks that are located nationwide but in our hometown and work town as well.

What are other options? I'm sure there are and I know it may be a silly question, I just haven't had to deal with this before. Since this bank closed, it's messed us up all together.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 9:06 PM on Jun. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• We don't deal with banks at all. We use a Wal-Mart direct deposit card. It 'acts' like a bank in that we can use debit or credit and we can deposit and transfer fund to/from outside banks. It may work for when you travel anyway. Even if you di not use it as a direct deposit card. With internet access you can transfer money from your reg. account to your Walmart Money Card as needed and get cash from ATM's ect...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:58 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I'm not sure since I only deal with local banks. But here is a bump for you.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:49 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I've never found a nationwide bank that had a location in my area. Maybe you could look into one of those online banks? You could get an account at a local bank, he could deposit into the online bank and you could then transfer to the local bank. He'd probably have to mail his deposit in, so it might take a little longer, but it might be worth looking into.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:42 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I'm surrounded by nationwide banks but I feel your pain.
    Not sure if this would work for you but maybe set up a direct deposit to your account. Most companies/businesses can do that, all you need is a deposit slip.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Not sure what you mean by nation wide, unless you mean one of those mega banks like Chase. Our local banks here have great online services. Even though I bank with a mega bank, most of my transactions are remote. I have direct deposits for payrolls and use the smartphone app for check deposits. My other bank is located in TX and I am in IL, again everything is done online, if I do use an ATM they reimburse us for fees. My son in CA uses the same TX bank and he travels all over the world for work and has had no problems.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 9:53 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Except for the problem of not being able to run to an ATM, (without paying a fee) why couldn't you use a local credit union & do everything electronically?

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2013