PLEASE HELP!! adult content

Okay my son was born 3 weeks early, he is now a week old. I have been "pumping" since he was born becuase I really want him on breast milk and not formula. When he was born my milk wasnt in so i had to keep pumping to bring it in. Now that it has come in, I was trying to breast feed. Well he didnt latch on, and when he did it was for a second or two and he was off. Th doctor said it was most likely because he was jaundice and to try it after it seems like the jaundice is leaving his body. So i kept on pumping and yesterday i started to put him up to the breast (the jaundice is leaving) and it took him a minute to latch on to the left but he was a pro at the right. Since then he has been going up to the breast. But he still seems to have trouble latching on to the left and I have a few questions because this is my first time doing this.

First question: How long do I feed him on each breast so its equal?

Second question: How can i get him to latch on to the breast without so many issues?

Third question: Is it supposed to hurt HORRIBLY bad?

Fourth question: How often do i feed him and am I supposed to continue to pump? If so, what times should I do this?

Fifth question: How do I know he is getting enough?

Sixth question: Will my milk stop coming in if he isnt on an hourly schedule?

Seventh question: Are there any other positions I can put him in for him to latch on better?

I am so confused and Im worrying myself so bad about not doing this right! Please help me!

kelsey08

Asked by kelsey08 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 30, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first thing I would recommend is for you to set up an appointment with a lactation spcialist, either through a nearby hospital or with La Leche League, which is easy to find online. The lactation consultants will be able to answer all of your questions, help you with positions, and put your mind at ease. I didn't have a preemie, but my daughter had feeding issues, and the specialist who helped me was an incredible blessing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:13 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Have you read any books etc on breastfeeding, took any classes? If not, its never too late. There is a breastfeeding group on here that is fantastic, also call the hospital and ask if they have someone you can talk to or come out to the house and help you with some of this. Sometimes the WIC office has staff that will help..

Now I will work on answering some of your questions... It really shouldn't hurt if they baby is latching on correctly, make sure he has more than just the nipple in his mouth, he should have a large chunk of the dark area around your nipple in his mouth.. No, you don't have to continue to pump unless you want to stock some up. Your milk should not stop if you stop pumping every hour. The baby will feed as little as 15min to an hour. The older he gets the better he will become. No time limit on each breast unless you want to. Some just feed of one breast then the next feeding the next.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:18 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Some babies eat every hour at first and go several hours in between feedings. Let him tell you when he is hungry. Get him to open his mouth as wide as possible then place him to the breast, a overly hungry baby may take a few tries. Also if he doesn't care for the left breast offer that one when he is at his hungriest. You can lay down to feed, football hold as well as cradle.. Google will give you a visual..
    If he is growing/gaining weight, have 6-8 wet diapers a day, he is getting enough.

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• There is also a breastfeeding group on here with mommies in the same boat as you and mommies that have been there, done that. I'm sure they can help you. A lactation specialist is a great idea.
    1. I believe it is 15 min on each side (my youngest is 12 so it may have changed)
    2. Practice, practice, practice. Remember, you are both learning here.
    3. Yes, it hurts a lot at 1st but as your nipples get used to it and as baby learns to latch properly, it gets better. Also they have creams that help.
    4. Ask dr and/or lactation specialist
    5. You know he is getting enough if he has enough wet diapers and is gaining weight
    6. I'm not sure what the schedule should be, but he needs to be on one for both of your sakes. I think when baby is little, feeding is more on demand. Sorry, I can't remember
    7. Have you tried the football hold? There are many positions. I recommend trying them all to see what works best for you and baby.
    Good luck:-)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Smash your clocks! No timing at all.

1. Breast one till he comes off on his own. Burp, Offer breast two. NO TIMING.
    2. Practice. Mine had issues too, and lots of practice was needed.
    3. NO. Most likely you have a bad latch.
    4. Feed ON DEMAND. As often as he wants as long as he wants. Clocks smashed, please. Put the pump away for now.
    5. Count dipes. 6-8 changes per day at this age.
    6. No. NO SCHEDULES. Smash those clocks. (I am serious.)
    7. There are lots. This forum honestly isn't the greatest for the help you're seeking. PLease drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. I'll send you a link.

Last: Your problems are 100% normal. And 100% manageable. It would be a bloody miracle if everything was perfect right now.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Agreed. For accurate information on breastfeeding to go the breastfeeding group and visit kellymom.com
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Thank you all so much! I will def go by the breast feeding group! When my breast feel full and hes sleeping, should i pump or wait until he wakes up? If i only use one breast wont it be HUGE compared to the other one because its the one getting milk? Sorry if i sound stupid!
    kelsey08

Comment by kelsey08 (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Yes, he has more than enough diaper changes through out the day! lol!
    kelsey08

Comment by kelsey08 (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Don't pump. Your body is still figuring out how much it needs to make and pumping will throw it off.

Things will even out, but I must warn you that *you* will forever notice a difference that no one else sees.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:40 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I think everyone has different advice. I would say to keep pumping. I was told to stop pumping so much and my milk towards to slow down and stopped coming in with quite a bit. It was very frustrasting. I would read up on breastfeeding, get in a group, talking to other moms and set up an apt with an lacation specialist. good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:39 AM on Jul. 1, 2013