Feeling discouraged:/

I am a mother of two and decided to go back to college. I can only take a couple of classes at a time because I know I will fail all of them if I take too many. It will take me forever to get my degree at this point. Well last semester I failed my history course but passed my other two classes with an A and B. My biggest problem is test taking. No matter how much I study, I am terrible at quizzes and test, especially the timed ones. I get anxious at watching the clock instead of concentrating. Then most of the time I am certain of my answers and then surprised as hell when I get a low score. I really don't know what I am doing wrong. I feel like quitting and just getting a job. Any tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Not sure which category, sorry!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2013 in Money & Work

• You might try one of the places that teach you how to study and how to take tests, like sylvan.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• What kinds of tests are they timing these days? I remember getting timed on essay tests. But generally we knew what topics were going to be covered anyway so all you had to do was have a few basic facts in your head and start writing.

If you can be in a place where you cannot see the clock it can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• I would take advantage of the tutoring center at your school. They have people who can teach you tips for dealing with test anxiety
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2013

• Look up videos on Youtube about test taking strategies. It takes a different mindset to learn how to take different types of tests. Google practice tests for your class subject. Quizlet tends to have free tests and flash cards based on practice tests for free. Divide up the time you have to take the test by the number of questions in the test. That way, you can pace yourself & know exactly how long you can spend on each question. You might also get tested to see if you have a learning disability. If you are classified with the learning disability, schools normally have to give you more time to complete tests. You might also consider transferring to an online school where the majority of tests are not timed. Not all schools have untimed tests so you have to look for them.Online schools are more writing-based so you must have the discipline to manage your time & be able to write well for weekly forums and writing assignments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Those are all great suggestions. Just don't give up. That's the best example you can set for your children. And once you have your degree, whatever job you get should pay you more. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 1, 2013