Could my 23 month old's high fever be teething?

The last couple weeks my 23 month old son has been sticking a finger in his mouth gnawing on it. Last night he had no interest in dinner and got very fussy and hot pretty suddenly. Checked his temp, 101.4. Not necessarily a big deal but for about an hour he was really irritable. Gave him lukewarm bath, a dose of Motrin, then headed for the store to get some Pedialyte. When I returned he was running around, playing like normal. In the past 24 hrs, his temp has been back and forth. I am wondering if this could be bc of a new molar coming in? I read last night that fevers over 100.4 shouldn't be attributed to teething. He's been a bit fussy here and there, but no more bouts of lethargy like the initial one that led me to worry. I know the fever is good bc his body is fighting an infection, so I've only given Motrin to make him more comfortable before bedtime.

TaylorKarl

Asked by TaylorKarl at 1:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could be. If it keeps going on too long, get an appointment with his pediatrician, but some kids react to teething with fevers. My stepson always did.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:18 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• NO, Not in my opinion. That is too high. The child has a cold or virus brewing. You can give Infant Tylenol during the day & Childrens Motrin at night. If the fever persists for 3 days or gets higher then you have to bring him in to see his Pediatrician.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:10 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• This sounds like teething to me
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:20 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Yes IMO - as my toddler would get fevers that were pretty high. Asking your doctor is of course the best bet.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2013