Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What type of doctor should I go to to get a sebaceous cyst removed?

I don't have insurance and am on a budget, so I dont want to go to a doctor that has to refer me to someone else and have to pay 2 doctor bills. The cyst is pretty painful, like a huge pimple except its about the size of a quarter in diameter, AND right under my bra strap, OUCH! Im not positive its a sebaceous cyst, but I did some research and the pictures look similar to mine. Any suggestions?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Health

Answers (11)
  • A dermatologist. But if it's too big a plastic surgeon might have to do it.

    Answer by Crafty26 at 3:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • A dermatologist.

    Answer by goldpandora at 3:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • Dermatologist or a nurse can do it, but you should also check out the how-to videos on Youtube before you get it done just to be prepared for what's involved. I don't recommend you try to remove it yourself. You will need anesthesia. If you qualify for low income, you might try calling a free clinic, if anything to get a referral. Some doctors also provide a payment plan, so ask if they do that or find one that does it. offers healthcare discounts upfront (not insurance) and is low cost. I recommend you get this at the very least at $8/month, it's not bad for the basic plan. You can even view discounted rates for procedures under each doctor in their network

    Answer by hellokittykat at 5:40 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • A dermatologist. I just had one taken care of last thursday.

    Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:12 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • My DH had one & he was referred to a regular Surgeon who removed it & packed it in his office. I would call a Dermatologists office & ask first if they will do that. Probably depending on how big it is. If they say no then ask them to recommend a Surgeon.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:08 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • If it is what you think then a dermatologist. If it is something else I do not know.

    Answer by Dardenella at 9:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • I had one removed several years ago and I went to a general surgeon. He did it in the office..I have had a few since then and one of my nurse friends told me about Ichthammol ointment, google it.. It works. You apply it several times a day and cover with a gauze, it pulls the fluid out. After about a week it will pop and go away..

    Answer by midnightmoma at 11:19 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • I was going to say an OBGYN. good luck!

    Answer by Sillylins at 11:25 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • I had a NP at the local walk in clinic take care of mine

    They gave me a local and a Valium- made a small incision and dug around with tweezers for about 20 mins. It wasnt very big but was deep. Ended up being about 2inches long. Gave me one stitch and sent me on my way

    Answer by feralxat at 11:41 AM on Jul. 1, 2013

  • I've had two different growths, one a fatty cyst and one a benign fibrous tumor, removed by two different family doctors. If you can find one who still does minor in-office surgery, you might save money over going to a specialist.

    Answer by Ballad at 3:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
Cervical Cancer adult content

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
No period last month?