How will my son learn to swim if he doesn't wanna go to his swim lesson?!

He's 6 years old and for some reason thinks he's gonna drown if he goes in the water. I've gotten him in the water several times if I carry him, or he'll stay in the shallow end. I signed him up for a free trial lesson and he really doesn't wanna go. Now he's saying "my leg hurts I don't think I can go swimming". I have tried explaining to him that they won't make him do anything he doesn't wanna do and that they teach kids just like him to swim all the time but he's not having it. And btw he hasn't never had an incident where he almost drown or anything so I'm not sure where this is coming from. What would you do in this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would take him anyway! you are the parent! he will soon find out that it is not as bad as he thinks, and he might even enjoy it!

Answer by older at 12:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• If he's scared I wouldn't force the swim lesson on him.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Maybe he is not ready.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• It is up to you as a parent to provide him with these lessons to prevent him from drowning one day, this should not be a selective thing here, his life depends on it.

Answer by older at 12:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• He will have a good time, assure him you will be right there, the longer this goes on the more likely it is that he won't learn to swim. He will be with other kids who are in the same situation, tell him he is going to make new friends.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:38 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• He's not ready... don't force him!! Worst thing you can do!! Keep trying to introduce him to the water quietly. Maybe take him to watch the lessons a few times so he knows what to expect. Some kids just need to feel safe first. Don't force him into a situation where he perceives he is not safe... even if you know he is!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• if its a newbie swim lesson, they will not take them out of the shallow end. and if they do its a bad group teaching!! tell him he has to go, but that he doesnt have to get in the water. that way you teach him that he still has to do things he doesnt like or are scary, but this way you wont scar him by forcing him in the water. once he sees the other kids his age having fun, he might want to join in.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• The ladies are right! once he sees the other kids having a good time, he will join them...take him...

Answer by older at 12:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Take him, he may be scared the first few times but once he sees what goes on, he may decide to get in and join the other kids. Right now he is scared of the unknown, taking him so he can see will help..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Take him and sit and watch wth him. Do not force him to participate. Some kids just need more time to adjust. You might have to wait until next year for him to learn to swim.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 1:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2013