Two contradictory statements cannot both be true, that's basic logic

So, when the same person says:

Someone's sexuality is nobody's business, and I see no reason for anyone to shout it all over the place

and

Homosexuals are bad Christians and are not fit to be clergy

Which is true - if they believe that someone's sexuality is nobody's business, they cannot then use someone's sexuality as a criteria for judging how good or bad they are at anything, since they insist they shouldn't know about it at all. Conversely, if they insist ALL homosexuals are bad Christians, they cannot figure out which Christians are the bad homosexuals unless they first know the sexuality of all good and bad Christians.

So which statement does the person actually believe, and which statement is the lie?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I suppose you could do some assuming, to make the two statements go together. Then it would be something along the lines of "A person's sexuality is no one's business, and there's no need to announce it. But if you DO announce it, then you're a bad Christian, which makes you unfit to be clergy, and since you announced it, we can use it against you."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need some aspirin for the headache I just got, twisting my brain so hard to come up with that. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Np trying to make sense of these type of people is fruitless......

Answer by older at 1:01 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I don't think they even know what they believe in or think.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I don't think the person actually knows.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Well both statements are a lie. Fighting for equality isn't shouting ones sexuality all over. It's simply being the people they are-fighting for rights.
    Judging ones ability to lead a church is no ones business either-especially when based on something as personal as sexuality.

I believe these judgemental Christians are nothing but liars and they know it. That's why they are so bitter-their hypocrisy is showing.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I agree with what Wendy.

Answer by louise2 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• After thinking about this for a few minutes, all I can come up with is the poster meant 1. Anyone's sexuality is really nobody's business but 2. Should a gay person want to become a minister then he opens his life to opinions and scrutiny from others, as some faiths have requirements over their sexuality, such as a priest in the catholic faith.

I've got nothing over the "bad Christian' part... That makes no sense
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• NP, you are trying to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• The individual person may not see a lie in either one.
    However it is correct that contradictory statements can not both be true.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I guess it works if the logic reads, homosexuals should never become clergy, and if asked why, they should say, it's none of your business.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:32 PM on Jul. 1, 2013