Favorite and easy meals for camping. I need ideas!

We are looking for new ideas for camping food. We usually just have what we would normally eat that week, I make it ahead, freeze and just heat when we are ready to eat. But we want more normal camp foods.

What do you eat when camping?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 4:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I do not camp lol. But we used to have a fireplace! My kids LOVED wrapping apples in tin foil and putting them in the hot ashes to cook them then drizzle them with honey as a side dish to hot dogs/sausages. WE also cooked biscuits int he hot coals once. Actually we cooked a lot of things in tin foil pockets... fish, veggies...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I haven't camped in years, but my ex and I used to make whole dinners in foil. Just throw in a hamburger patty--I made them up ahead of time with onion soup mixed in--and then small chunks of potato, carrots, and onion. Wrap up the foil tightly and throw it in the coals till the meat is done. Easy peasy, and yummy.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Oh, and I forgot, there's a great cookbook you can get. I can't recall the name, but it's something like "Engine Block Cooking" and you can probably find it on Amazon. It's full of recipes you can do in foil on the engine block of your car--or on the dashboard at noonday if you live where JJK does--and you could probably do most of them on a campfire, too.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I found this website looking for the Campfire cones we made and LOVED and there are some other recipes here I am rather jealousI no longer have a fireplace to try them in. http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/06/25-delicious-camping-recipes.html

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:53 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• They have these Stouffer meal in a bag in the frozen isle just cut it open and fry it up. Also salad in a bag comes with all the dressing. oh oh and wrap potatoes in tin foil put them in the fire and like 30 mins later pull them out best baked potatoes ever.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 4:54 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Our favorite is to grill carne asada. Heat some corn tortillas over indirect heat, mix up some guacamole, cut a few limes, and dinner is ready.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• The pioneer woman has some really good stuff on her website!
    We made beans she had on there, to die for!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• I miss camping. We used to cook brats, hot dogs, hamburgers and cheese dogs over the fire. We had a tripod that we cooked the hamburgers on and cans of baked beans. Another favorite was Frito Pie (cook can of chili over the fire and pour in snack size bag of fritos).
    We also had a few camp cookers that are amazing and so versatile. We used those to make supper and dessert. Basically it makes a grilled sandwich. Our favorite was the pizza sandwiches for supper and pie filling in between 2 pieces of bread with powdered sugar sprinkled on top for desserts.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2013